STOP EU-TURKEY DEAL - SAFE PASSAGE NOW
This petition had 74,673 supporters
Heads of EU Member States
Donald Tusk, President of the European Council
Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission
On 27 February 2016, citizens in 32 countries and over 120 cities from Europe and the rest of the world raised their voices for refugee rights under the slogan #safepassage. We demanded legal and safe routes and high standards of reception and asylum. On 7 March 2016, EU leaders met with Turkey and designed a plan that should be agreed upon at the next European council meeting on 17-18 March. We call on European leaders ahead of this summit to live up to the European values of human dignity and human rights, to respect international law and above all, to bring us humane policies for a humane Europe.
On 27 February 2016, citizens in 32 countries and over 120 cities from Europe and the rest of the world raised their voices for refugee rights under the slogan #safepassage. For months many people have been providing assistance to women, men and children in need. They have helplessly witnessed how boats sank. They witnessed families travelling or living in dreadful conditions and people seeking protection being blocked by fences, or worse, badly treated by police forces.
On 7 March 2016, the European Council met with Turkey in Brussels. The agreement outlined, that should be approved on 17-18 March, has been criticised by UNHCR and many NGOs as violating international law.
In view of the European Summit of 17-18 March 2016, we citizens of Europe and the world ask you to:
- keep Europe’s external borders open,
- guarantee access for people in need of international protection at Europe‘s external borders,
- follow European and international law, including the Geneva Convention, the principle of non-refoulement and the EU asylum directives,
- process each and every asylum claim individually and without any discrimination by nationality in accordance with European and international law,
- refuse to allow push-backs to Turkey or anywhere else,
- refuse to consider Turkey, a country from which refugees are sent back to Syria and which offers no protection equivalent to the Geneva convention, as safe third country,
- show solidarity with the countries where most of the refugees arrive in the EU, in particular Greece,
- immediately relocate asylum seekers stuck in Greece, including Afghans, to other EU Member states,
- provide safe passage for refugees and reform the Dublin system into an allocation scheme that is fair for both Member states and refugees.
This is not a refugee crisis. It’s a humanitarian crisis where European values are at stake. Europe has the means to help people in need, and we demand the European Union and its Member states to live up to the European values of human dignity and human rights, to respect international law and above all, to bring us humane policies for a humane Europe.
About us: European March for Refugee Rights
The European March for Refugee Rights in pictures.
Today: European March for Refugee Rights is counting on you
European March for Refugee Rights needs your help with “STOP EU-TURKEY DEAL - SAFE PASSAGE NOW”. Join European March for Refugee Rights and 74,672 supporters today.