Urge YouTube to adjust the current “demonetized” policy 促請YouTube審視及修改現行「黃標」機制
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
Urge YouTube to review and adjust the current “demonetized” policy
Letter from a group of marketing and sales practitioners
(Please find English version below)
而這定義載於「廣告客戶青睞內容規範」標題之下。( 參考 2020年3月1日 https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278
6. YouTube 現時(2020年3月1日)在網頁上簡介之定位是「我們的使命是賦予每個人向世界發聲的機會。」，包括對四項基本自由的承諾：自由表達意見、自由取得資訊、自由選擇成功途徑、自由加入社群。(參考：https://www.youtube.com/about/ March 1, 2020)其中「自由選擇成功途徑」描述為「我們深信每個人都能以自身特色與獨到風格開創一番事業，爭取揚名立萬的機會，而成功與否全交由觀眾定奪。」
11. 以上建議相信能協助YouTube, YouTuber, 公眾及廣告商四方面皆能各取所需，互惠互利，亦貫徹了YouTube的品牌定位及承諾。促請YouTube審視現行「黃標」機制，盡快作出合適的調整。
We are a group of marketing and sales practitioners, that is a member of the "advertisers".
Regarding YouTube's current "demonetized" policy, commonly known as "yellow label", by which YouTube labels video which are "content that is unsuitable for advertising", we would like to express the following opinions to YouTube.
1. We acknowledge that as defined in the current YouTube system, the content themes that will be marked with "yellow label" and the system will "only partially receive advertisements or would not receive advertisements at all" include: Inappropriate language, Violence, Adult content, Harmful or dangerous acts, Hateful content, Incendiary and demeaning, Recreational drugs and drug-related content, Tobacco-related content, Firearms-related content, Adult themes in family content and the lately controversial theme "Controversial issues and sensitive events".
This definition is under the headline “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines” (Refer to https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en March 1, 2020)
We concern about the possibility to ascertain that "All Advertisers" and "All Potential Advertisers" agree with this “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines” If this cannot be certain, we urge YouTube to revise the description “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines”. (Remark: in Chinese version, the title is “Advertiser favored content guidelines”)
2. "Advertisers" involve a very wide range of products and services. We believe that the positioning of different brands may coincide with or may not be the same as YouTube’s current “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines”. Hence, there is possibility of existence of "advertisers" who demand for "not to exclude" or do not mind "not to exclude" the concerned video contents.
3. The current "demonetized" policy is to mark videos with “yellow labels” by the YouTube system. If an "advertiser" wishes "not to exclude" or do not mind "not to exclude" concerned videos, they still cannot place advertisements in the concerned videos through the YouTube system. This situation is weakening YouTube’s ability to help advertisers reach their target consumers.
4. For the creators of "yellow labelled" videos (YouTubers), even if there are "advertisers" who intend to or do not mind to advertise in their videos, they will not be able to receive advertising revenue. This may cause these YouTubers to reduce or stop production, or migrate to other platforms.
5. We acknowledge that one of the major advantages of YouTube is that YouTube responded to the market's demand for diversified content. It can attract a wide range of creators to produce videos with diversified content. If the current "yellow label" policy causes some YouTubers to reduce or stop production, or migrating to other platforms, it is weakening an important advantage of YouTube.
6. The current positioning of YouTube, as of March 1, 2020, published in the official website is "Our mission is to provide everyone in the world an opportunity to voice out." (Translation from Chinese version). It includes four fundamental freedom commitments: Freedom of expression, Freedom to access Information, Freedom to choose the way to success and freedom to join communities. (Reference: https://www.youtube.com/about/ Among them, " Freedom to choose the way to success " is described as "We deeply believe that everyone can develop a career with their own characteristics and unique style. Strive for opportunity to make a name for themselves. Success or not is totally determined by the audience." (Translation from Chinese version)
7. Under the "yellow label" policy, the success of content producers (YouTubers) is not "totally determined by the audience".
8. As “advertisers”, we appreciate the success of YouTube’s positioning. We therefore hope that YouTube can carry through your successful factors and brand positioning promises.
9. We suggest YouTube to return right to judge "whether a video content is advertiser friendly" to the "advertisers", so as to truly reflect "whether a video content is advertiser friendly" by advertising traffic.
Certainly, if YouTube can provide more detailed content analysis and classification options is better. However, we understand that consider the huge quantity of videos uploaded on the YouTube platform every minute, it may not be possible to handle with current technology.
10. We suggest one adjustment to the current "yellow label” policy:
Firstly, "stop the current one-size-fits-all policy" that mark videos with "yellow label" based on the “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines” and make the videos can "only partially receive advertisements or cannot receive advertisements at all".
Secondly, add the content theme list of the current “Advertiser-friendly content guidelines” to the "Advertisement Settings" system, so that "Advertisers" with different needs can choose whether to exclude the concerned content for each of their advertisements.
11. We believe the above suggestions can help all four stakeholders: YouTube, YouTuber, the public and advertisers to achieve their needs and be beneficial to each other. In this way, YouTube can also carry through its brand positioning and commitments. We urge YouTube to review the current "yellow label" policy and make appropriate adjustments as soon as possible.
A group of marketing and sales practitioners
1st March 2020
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!