World Leaders: Recognize the Syrian Genocide
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
The Syrian Genocide is the most wicked systematic extermination campaign in modern history, orchestrated in response to peaceful protests in 2011. Dictator Bashar Al Assad has murdered over 400,000 Syrian civilians, with a vast majority being lower and middle class members of a single ethnoreligious group of Syrian Arabs. Evidence reviewed by organizations including the United Nations, Human Rights Watch, and Amnesty International, shows that the Assad regime is guilty of the following:
- Unlawful mass killing of men, women, and children
- Deploying chemical weapons, including banned nerve agent Sarin gas, on civilian neighborhoods along with napalm and conventional bombs. UPDATE: Assad released another chemical weapon on the city of Douma after this petition was published. Over 1000 civilians were exposed.
- Torture, including sexual and psychological torture and torture of children
- Arbitrary detention and mass-execution
- Systematic use of rape as a wide-scale weapon
- Hundreds of attacks on hospitals used to treat victims of government atrocities, resulting in the death of doctors, aid workers, and the sick and wounded
- Forced displacement of civilian populations and orchestrated demographic change.
Moreover, Assad allowed foreign terrorist organizations like ISIS to enter Syria. He was a critical backer of the precursor to ISIS, which itself commits horrific crimes against Syrians. It's time for Syrians to own the language used to describe what is happening them. Recognition of the Syrian Genocide is our obligation as citizens of the world to the Syrian people. The aforementioned crimes combined with the incomprehensible scale of extermination should go by no other name than genocide; they meet the criteria under Article II of the UN's Genocide Convention by seeking to destroy in part an ethnoreligious group. All signatory nations are individually obligated to punish the most grievous crime under Article III. Limited strikes on empty chemical weapon facilities are not enough: the Syrian government uses conventional bombs and weapons for the majority of its cleansing campaigns. "Never again" should mean something. Let's send that message to the leaders of the world.
Please share and spread the word.
In solidarity with:
- Armenians seeking global recognition of the Armenian Genocide
- Rohingyans fighting to end the Rohingyan Genocide in Myanmar.
- Rwandans seeking justice for the Rwandan Genocide
- Bosnians facing Serbian and Russian denial, revisionism on the Bosnian Genocide
- Cambodians fighting for greater legal recognition of the Cambodian Genocide
- Jews battling increased antisemitism and Holocaust-denial
- All oppressed and freedom-loving people around the world.
Today: Keenan is counting on you
Keenan Kassar needs your help with “World Leaders: Recognize the Syrian Genocide”. Join Keenan and 4,275 supporters today.