We need low fares for low income riders
This petition had 620 supporters
City staff are currently preparing a report to recommend discount fares to some riders. This report has been delayed again and again. We need the low income pass to be prioritized.
Cities across Canada have discount fares for low income people including Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, and more.
It's Toronto's turn! This is our chance!
Join us in saying yes to lowering fares on the TTC in the following ways:
1. Free TTC for people on social assistance
2. $50 Metropass and $1 tokens for low income people who earn less than $22,000 a year
3. Free TTC during heat alert and extreme cold days
4. Discount TTC tokens for social service agencies so they can give tokens to people who access their services
5. No reductions in TTC service. We need more service, not less.
Here are five reasons fares should be lowered:
1. People, especially people living on low incomes – rely on the TTC everyday to go to the doctor, work, pick up kids, get food, get access to recreation and all the benefits of life in Toronto.
2. The high (and rising) TTC fares are making it impossible for people to pay for TTC rides
3. Social assistance and low wage jobs do not provide enough money to meet basic needs, including riding public transit
4. TTC fares have been rising faster than inflation. TTC riders shouldered a fare hike on March 1, 2015, even though Mayor John Tory promised to freeze fares during his election campaign. The TTC has the most expensive monthly metropass in Canada.
5. The TTC gets the least amount of government support per ride compared to all other transit systems in North America. If we had fair funding we wouldn't have to make the kind of tough choice between cutting service and raising fares on the poor.
Read our report on the need for lower fares.
Find out more about our Fair Fare Coalition campaign.
Sign our petition.
Today: TTCriders is counting on you
TTCriders needs your help with “We need low fares for low income riders”. Join TTCriders and 619 supporters today.