Save National Endowment for the Arts & National Endowment for the Humanities
This petition had 3,345 supporters
President Trump is the first president in American history to propose eliminating the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting AND the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
This cannot stand.
While they've tried to cut culture before, this is the first time a President's budget has called to zero out these important institutions.
The arts, humanities, and public broadcasting are a significant contributor to Utah's economic success.
- As cultural businesses, we employ over 51,000 Utahns and generate over $3 billion in earnings (data as of 2014).
- We are the #1 state in the country for arts participation. Our audiences go out to eat, travel, stay in hotels, pay for parking, and are generating even more money for Utah's economy.
- Utah may not be as big as California or New York, but in 2016 alone, Utah arts organizations received $1,196,000 from the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Utah cultural organizations received over $700,000 from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- $9,400,410 million dollars comes annually to Utah thanks to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (source). KRCL receives $100,000 annually. KUER receives $280,000. KBYU receives $3,529,354 in a combination for its TV, radio, and other services. About 18 percent of KUED's budget, or $1,702,498, comes from CPB. KUED delivers $8,133,498 in total services. For every dollar appropriated to KUED via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Utahns receive $4.78 in services. The cost to tax payers for these services comes to 57 cents a year. For a complete list of Utah stations receiving support from CPB, click here.
That $11,296,410 in federal funding for Utah organizations is a significant part of our success.
** We delivered a printed copy of this letter on Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 and presented it to Senator Hatch, Senator Lee, Congressman Bishop, Congressman Stewart, Congressman Chaffetz. Please continue to spread the word because we send them quarterly updates as we add new signatures to the petition.**
Today: Utah Cultural Alliance is counting on you
Utah Cultural Alliance needs your help with “Utah Cultural Alliance: Save National Endowment for the Arts & National Endowment for the Humanities”. Join Utah Cultural Alliance and 3,344 supporters today.