Ban Asbestos, Save Lives. Sign the Petition to the United States Congress.
The World Health Organization, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Public Health Service and the U.S. Surgeon General agree: asbestos is a human carcinogen and there is no safe level of asbestos exposure. Asbestos-related diseases claim the lives of more than 10,000 Americans every year, and occupational, environmental, and consumer asbestos exposure continues. The facts are irrefutable, yet the United States has failed to ban asbestos and continues to import asbestos to manufacture asbestos-containing products, even though safe substitutes exist.
THEREFORE, we join with the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) in urging Congress to:
• Expedite action to ban asbestos imports
• Ban the manufacture, sale and export of asbestos and asbestos-containing products
• Enforce existing Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) regulations designed to protect men, women, and children from asbestos exposure
• Direct research funding to the United States Department of Health and Human Services to identify those at risk for asbestos-related disease, develop better treatments, and find a cure
We, the undersigned, support the petition to urge the United States Congress to take immediate action to protect public health and ban asbestos.
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- President of the United States
Take immediate action to protect public health and ban asbestos.
Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,859 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.