STOP Trashing Remnant Bushland - Build MVPS on the Existing Footprint.
This petition had 1,619 supporters
The Dept. of Education’s development proposal for Manly Vale Public School (in NSW Premier Mike Baird’s electorate) requires the removal of 4.37 hectares remnant bushland, with clearing into Condover Reserve & Manly Warringah War Memorial Park (aka Manly Dam) - a living monument of heritage listed bushland. It's death by a thousand cuts for this area... as noted in the departments own studies, removal will "contribute to the cumulative pressures adversely impacting large areas of undisturbed remnant vegetation and the connective links between them".
The sprawling layout involves needless, maximum environmental destruction... at least 63% of the bushland could be saved, just by building on the existing footprint!
The current plans entail...
1. The clearing of habitat for 5 threatened species found on site including: Red-crowned Toadlet, Eastern Pygmy Possum, Powerful Owl, Eastern Bent-Wing Bat & Grey Headed Flying Fox.
2. Destruction of habitat for 3 threatened flora species, including the critically endangered Seaforth Mintbush.
3. Destruction of endangered Duffys Forest ecological community found on site.
4. Direct removal of iconic & diverse flora including several species of Wattle, 5 species of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Myrtle, Bottle Brush, Banksia, Grevillea, Grass Trees, Boronia, Flannel Flower (formally championed in the logo of Warringah Council). Over 131 native flora species are at risk. 329 trees are already flagged for removal.
5. Intensified impacts on the fragile Mermaid Pool, Manly Creek, Burnt Bridge Creek & Manly Lagoon which leads onto the celebrated beaches of the Manly area.
6. An increased risk of invasive species in competition with native species, increasing the potential spread of the Noisy Miner as well as feral Rabbits, Foxes, Cats & Rats in neighbouring bushland.
7. Contribution to the possible extinction of a local population of the endangered Southern Brown Bandicoot. The adjoining Garigal National Park population is at particular risk of extinction. The total area planned to be removed has been flagged as high quality habitat.
8. An increased risk of the invasion of weeds into the War Memorial Park, Condover Reserve, Manly Creek & surrounds.
9. Direct loss of valuable hollow bearing trees, a crucial nesting place for many bird & mammal species - including the threatened Pygmy Possum & Powerful Owl present in this bushland.
10. The removal of bushland that was saved from a Landcom housing development by the community in 1995!
Manly Vale Public School has maintained a strong respect for nature and an outstanding reputation for environmental education for decades. This proposal completely violates the schools amazing legacy.
See Mike's address to the NSW Parliament in 2007:
"Manly Vale Public School, which is located near Manly Dam in one of the most beautiful parts of the world, is united in its vision for environmental excellence and it has been recognised for its commitment to the environment. Environmental excellence should form part of the curriculum for schools across New South Wales so that students understand and experience first hand the impact of things such as climate change. This is an opportunity for Manly Vale Public School to embrace such a vision."
NOW THIS? Clearing into "one of the most beautiful parts of the world"?
USE COMMON SENSE & CREATIVITY - BUILD ON THE EXISTING FOOTPRINT!
Image: Michael Pennay
Sources: Kleinfelder Landscape Management Plan & Species Impact Statement, GIS Environmental Consultants Review.
Today: Ellin is counting on you
Ellin Byrne needs your help with “STOP Trashing Remnant Bushland - Build MVPS on the Existing Footprint.”. Join Ellin and 1,618 supporters today.