Don't sell Bethesda's public parking lots. Convert them to parks!
This petition had 975 supporters
The draft Bethesda Downtown Plan promotes intense development that will bring many thousands more people to the area. As new Bethesda buildings reach for the sky, the County must foster a strong sense of place on the ground. We need better and more open space and recreational parks to serve all who will live and work here in the years to come.
The Montgomery County Council and County Executive Leggett have a unique opportunity to create new parkland by converting four County-owned surface parking lots in downtown Bethesda into parks. These lots – two near East Bethesda and two adjacent to the Farm Woman’s market – should continue to serve the public by remaining open spaces instead of being sold for new building development. Bethesda’s growth is pushing surface parking underground, but the public should benefit, not lose from this.
We care because:
- These four parking lots are the only readily available areas for park development in downtown Bethesda.
- Outdoor recreational space is necessary to serve the thousands of new residents and office workers in the years to come.
- These parks will boost Bethesda’s vitality and sense of community, offering welcoming spaces for all to meet, play, and celebrate together.
- Parks create economic value and extra County tax revenue. Buildings that look out on attractive open spaces are more desirable to residents and businesses.
- The lots are public property and should be developed in the public interest. Taxpayers paid for these parking lots a long time ago.
It’s now or never. The alternative is that these lots will be sold for new building development. Our Montgomery County Council and Executive must ensure green open space in downtown Bethesda for generations to come by establishing parks on the land it already owns for all who live, work and shop in Bethesda.
Coalition of Bethesda Area Residents
Today: Coalition of Bethesda Area Residents is counting on you
Coalition of Bethesda Area Residents needs your help with “Montgomery County Council: Don't sell Bethesda's public parking lots -- convert them to parks!”. Join Coalition of Bethesda Area Residents and 974 supporters today.