City of Gold Coast, please create the first wheelchair accessible beach in QLD!
This petition made change with 4,093 supporters!
The Gold Coast has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
A trip to the beach is something that most Australians take for granted.
For most wheelchair users, the elderly or people pushing prams, the soft beach sand is simply too difficult to navigate, especially if you live in Queensland given that it has no wheelchair friendly surf beaches.
- Imagine being a parent with a disability and being unable to join your kids on the beach.
- Imagine having a child with a disability and not being able to take them to the beach with you.
- Even without children in the picture, imagine if the closest you could get to the beach was the car park - without the need to drag yourself down the soft sand.
For approximately 25% of the population (a very conservative figure, including the disabled and elderly), these challenges are very much a reality.
Many councils in NSW, VIC and SA have taken the initiative to make at least SOME of their major beaches accessible to all members of the community. It's time for Queensland to get with the program!
Some of the QLD Surf Life Saving Clubs do have beach wheelchairs, but these only cater for a limited number disabled users, where as beach matting enables almost all users to access the beach.
What’s required to make a beach accessible?
- A simple run of low-maintenance beach access matting (operated daily or on weekends by an SLSC, just like it is in other states of Australia)
- Ideally a basic floating wheelchair for transfers into the water
- Ideally some accessible parking and an accessible bathroom nearby
This means all wheelchairs (manual or electric) can reach the cooler hard sand and/or water.
Let's make a start ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games by making at least ONE Queensland beach properly accessible.
PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE THIS PETITION to demand that the City of Gold Coast and our local MP’s conduct proper community consultation and take action. We’re not asking for major infrastructure changes at the beach, just a helping hand to get onto the sand!
UPDATE: Thanks to Push Mobility, Gold Coast residents can experience Burleigh Heads beach being made accessible for one day only at this event on April 15 - https://www.facebook.com/events/783269751775091
Today: Marlena is counting on you
Marlena May Katene needs your help with “Mayor Tom Tate: City of Gold Coast, please create the first wheelchair accessible beach in QLD!”. Join Marlena and 4,092 supporters today.