Help create a law to require Animal Breeders to register and obtain a license.
This petition had 498 supporters
Every year there are more than 4 million animals put down because of over population. In animal shelters, there are over 30% of pure-breeds waiting to be adopted. Breeders should be registered, regulated, and require a license!
“National euthanasia statistics are difficult to pinpoint because animal care and control agencies are not uniformly required to keep statistics on the number of animals taken in, adopted, euthanized or reclaimed. While many shelters know the value of keeping statistics, no national reporting structure exists to make compiling national statistics on these figures possible.
Unfortunately, the most recent statistics published by the National Council are from 1997, and only 1,000 shelters replied to the survey at that time. Using the National Council's numbers from 1997 and estimating the number of operating shelters in the United States to be 3,500 (the exact number of animal shelters operating in the United States does not exist), these estimates were made:
- Of the 1,000 shelters that replied to the National Council's survey, 4.3 million animals were handled.
- In 1997, roughly 64 percent of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized -- approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters. These animals may have been euthanized due to overcrowding, but may also have been sick, aggressive, injured or suffering from something else.
- 56 percent of dogs and 71 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized. More cats are euthanized than dogs because they are more likely to enter a shelter without any owner identification.
- Only 15 percent of dogs and 2 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are reunited with their owners.
- 25 percent of dogs and 24 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are adopted.
It is estimated that approximately 3.7 million animals were euthanized in the nation’s shelters in 2008. This number represents a generally accepted statistic that is widely used by many animal welfare organizations, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
For more information on the studies done by the National Council, please visit www.petpopulation.org.” From http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/animal-shelter-euthanasia.html
We believe that to keep Pure Breed animals, there must be breeders. This process should be regulated and controlled to prevent excess overpopulating and save tax payer dollars from unnecessary euthanizing of animals.
Animal Breeders should have to account for every animal born, sold, breed, and died. They should be regulated on how many animals they can breed in a year. They should be regulated on which animals they breed to prevent in-breeding. They should have to spay or neuter any animal that will not be used for breeding before it goes to a new home. They should have to pay for a Breeder’s License the same way you would for a Business License.
As the owner of PetGuise.co, we personally donate 10% of our sales to a local Animal Shelter.
We are the animal’s voice! Please help us fight for the rights of animals!
We want to live in a Kill Free Nation!
Today: Courtney is counting on you
Courtney White needs your help with “Help create a law to require Animal Breeders to register and obtain a license.”. Join Courtney and 497 supporters today.