The petition of the citizens of NSW, in particular those citizens residing in the Lower Hunter region of NSW, brings to the attention of the House our objection to Dart Energy’s CSG approval from government for their Fullerton Cove pilot wells project to extract CSG from the Borda and Medowie coal seams within the Tomago coal measures within PEL 458, because of the unacceptable risks the project poses to our:
* Surface and ground water supplies which provide about 20% of the Lower Hunter’s drinking water
* Potential altering of the ecosystems having direct impact on adjoining areas of RAMSAR wetlands
* That independent, scientific assessment of the proposal replaces Dart Energy’s self assessment of the project’s potential impacts
The undersigned petitioners therefore ask the Legislative Assembly to:
* Halt all exploration and future production activities of coal seam gas extraction at Fullerton Cove until such activity is scientifically proven as no risk to our water through contamination or depletion of aquifer.
* Reclassify the process to designated development to be assessed under Part 4 of the EPA Act 1979
* That Dart Energy obtain an aquifer interference approval for their project so that the risks arising from aquifer interference of the coal seam gas activities can be assessed and managed through an appropriate approval process
Fullerton Cove Residents Action Group started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,716 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.