- Paolo GentiloniMinister of Foreign Affairs
- Fabrizio CicchittoPresident Committee on Foreign Affairs - Camera dei deputati
- Luigi ManconiPresident Committee on Human rights - Senato
- Guy RyderGeneral Director International Labour Organisation
- Antonio GuterresUN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Zeid Ra’ad Al HusseinUN High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Neven MimicaEU Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development
- Federica MogheriniHigh Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- Jean-Claude JunckerEU Commission President
- Pier Ferdinando CasiniPresident Committee on Foreign Affairs - Senato
Refugees: Ask the EU to stop funding the Eritrean dictatorship!
Refugees who arrive on Italy's Southern shores are in large part Eritreans. Every month about 5,000 people, mostly young, flee a regime that denies any freedom and form of democracy.
These days the European Commission is negotiating with Eritrea a new development aid package, worth over €300m.
If the EU was serious about improving the situation in Eritrea and prevent the exodus, it would make the aid package conditional to respecting fundamental human rights and to engaging real democratic reforms.
I'm an Italian journalist of Eritrean origin. I share this petition with Nobel Peace prize candidate Father Mussie Zerai and human rights lawyer Anton Giulio Lana.
We call on the European Commission and on EU governments to Stop the EU Development Aid Package, or any other form of financial support to Eritrea, until the Eritrean government formally commits itself to ensuring:
- Freedom for all those arbitrary detained, like dissidents and journalists;
- Freedom of expression and freedom of association;
- Free and democratic, multi-party political elections;
- End of the compulsory open-ended national service;
- End of any form of forced labour and abusive treatment, first of all torture;
Until the rule of law will be restored, we reiterate the UN Commission of Inquiry's recommendations, to make sure that those fleeing Eritrea are granted asylum or any form of international protection.
To prevent the exodus from Eritrea and further deaths at sea, Eritreans don't need just more money but freedom and democracy.
Vittorio Longhi, Mussie Zerai, Anton Giulio Lana
- Minister of Foreign Affairs
- President Committee on Foreign Affairs - Camera dei deputati
- President Committee on Human rights - Senato
- General Director International Labour Organisation
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein
- EU Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development
- High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- EU Commission President
- President Committee on Foreign Affairs - Senato
Pier Ferdinando Casini
We call on the European Commission and the leaders of EU State Members to make the new 300m-aid package conditional to a serious commitment by the Eritrean government to respecting human rights and open the path to democracy and freedom.
Vittorio Longhi ha lanciato questa petizione con solo una firma e ora ci sono 5.096 sostenitori. Lancia la tua petizione per creare il cambiamento che ti sta a cuore.
Riporta un abuso
Grazie per aver dedicato del tempo a riportare questo contenuto. Il nostro team controlla la tua segnalazione e vi contatterà se abbiamo bisogno di maggiori informazioni.
Petizioni più popolari
Oggi: Vittorio conta su di te
Vittorio Longhi ha bisogno del tuo aiuto con la petizione "Free Eritrea: Support Democracy, Prevent the Exodus and further Deaths at Sea!". Unisciti con Vittorio ed 5.095 sostenitori più oggi.