Work together to create 20,000 jobs a year for people with disability.
Australians with disability are skilled, productive, loyal, hard-working Australians who deserve a fair go like the rest of Australia.
As the debate on Myer has highlighted, lack of jobs for people with disability in Australia is a national tragedy of poverty and wasted talent brought about by a lack of will and ignorance about the skills and talents of people with disability.
• Employees with disability perform as productively as employees without disability and stay with their employer for longer (Australian Employers’ Network on Disability, 2008).
• 45% of people with disability in Australia live near or below the poverty line making us the second worst country in the developed world.
• Australia, the country that weathered the global financial crisis better than any other developed nation ranks 21st out of 29 developed countries for employment of people with disability (PriceWaterhouseCoopers, 2011).
• Countries such as Mexico and the Slovak Republic are outdoing us.
• Over the last 17 years, employment of people with disability in the public sector has more than halved.
• Only 50% of people with disability are in the Australian labour market. In the general population the figure is 78%.
Deloitte Access Economics reported that Australia would increase its GDP by $43 billion if employment rates for people with disability were increased by one third and a 10% increase in the labour market would equate to an increase of between 191,000 and 203,000 jobs for people with disability. The goal of 20,000 jobs a year for Australians with disability is an achievable goal and would provide employment for 200,000 people with disability by 2023.
Show your support for a growing disability movement in Australia. We will not be silenced!
To find out more about how the government and business can create 200,000 jobs for people with disability by 2023 see PWDA’s election platform Getting Real on Jobs http://www.pwd.org.au/documents/pubs/13-GetRealonJobs-PWDA.doc (Word 101kb).
Our numbers can ensure disability retains the profile and presence we deserve. Join the movement for change by becoming part of People with Disability Australia http://www.pwd.org.au/invitation-to-membership.html
Today: People with Disability Australia (PWDA) is counting on you
People with Disability Australia (PWDA) needs your help with “Federal, State & Local Government, employers in business & the third sector: Work together to create 20,000 jobs a year for people with disability.”. Join People with Disability Australia (PWDA) and 787 supporters today.