Permanently protect the Bodie Hills in Eastern California as a National Monument
This petition had 120 supporters
The Bodie Hills is a treasured American landscape containing 188,000 acres of largely undeveloped public lands along the scenic East Side of the Sierra Nevada range that deserve permanent protection. Designating the Bodie Hills as a BLM National Monument will protect the extraordinary habitat, scenery, history, and recreational opportunities found here. The sustainable multiple-use values of the Bodie Hills include:
· Clean Water: The Bodie Hills are a source and filter for high quality water for communities and ranching as well as downstream fisheries in northern Mono County (CA) and Lyon County (NV).
· Wildlife: The Bodies provide habitat for many species (some at-risk), including sage-grouse, pronghorn, mule deer, golden eagle, mountain lion, and black bear as well as historic habitat for the native (and now rare) Lahontan cutthroat trout.
· Recreation: The Bodie Hills is a popular destination for mountain biking, Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) use, wildlife watching, botanizing, hiking, cross country skiing, and snow shoeing.
· Hunting: The Bodie Hills is a popular and productive deer hunting destination that offers opportunities for trophy mule deer.
· Scenery: The Bodie Hills offers iconic views of Mono Lake, the Eastern Sierra, and the Sweetwater Range, and provides the scenic backdrop for the Bridgeport Valley.
· Botanical Values. Some 450 different plants species, in 73 families are known to occur in the Bodie Hills, including native plant communities that provide habitat for wildlife.
· Cultural Heritage: The Bodie Hills contains sacred areas for local native peoples including areas where pine nuts are gathered for consumption. The area also contains rock art and a trove of archeological resources.
· Working landscapes: Livestock grazing is a traditional and sustainable use of the Bodie Hills and can be managed to better protect other values.
· History: The Bodies contain mining artifacts and other remnants of this activity from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Today: Bodie Hills Conservation Partnership is counting on you
Bodie Hills Conservation Partnership needs your help with “Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Paul Cook: Permanently protect the Bodie Hills in Eastern California as a National Monument”. Join Bodie Hills Conservation Partnership and 119 supporters today.