Please safely open our City of Surrey Indoor Recreation Centres.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
RE: Safely reopen our City of Surrey Indoor Recreation Centres in 2020
To: Surrey City Mayor Doug McCallum, Surrey City Council and Surrey City Manager, Mr. Vincent Lalonde
It has come to our attention that the City of Surrey has been delayed, in comparison to surrounding municipalities, in the planning for the safe reopening of all city run indoor recreation facilities.
We have been told that many facilities will remain closed this September and for the remainder of 2020- NOT because of COVID-19 as outdoor city run pools are open, but because of the City of Surrey‘s budget choices.
We have also learned that ONLY ONE INDOOR POOL WILL OPEN this year for all 600,000 + residents of Surrey with the other 5 staying closed yet the mayor is still moving forward with his new Surrey police force with the use of our tax dollars
The City of Vancouver now plans to open 8 out of 9 City run Rec centres and pools this Sept/October following the safe guidelines and protocols set out by Dr. Bonnie Henry and BC Health Minister Adrian Dix.
The City o Surrey may hide behind COVID-19 safety concerns and but taxpayers in the City of Surrey should not be denied their rights to physical, mental and emotional health in order for the City to spend our money elsewhere.
The following Rec Centres have either limited plans and programs or have announced that they will remain closed this year:
-New Clayton Community Centre-WORK STOPPED INDEFINITELY Will Not open
- Cloverdale Rec Centre
- Don Christian Rec Centre
- Cloverdale Arena
- Surrey Sport and Leisure Centre
- Surrey Sports and Leisure Arena
- Fleetwood Community Centre
GUILDFORD AND FRASER HEIGHTS
- Guildford Rec. Centre- POOLS WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- Fraser Heights Rec. Centre
- Newton Rec. Centre- WAVE POOL AND POOLS WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- Newton Arena-WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- Newton Seniors Centre- WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- Chuck Bailey Rec. Centre
- North Surrey Sports and Ice Complex
- Bridgeview Community Centre-WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- South Surrey Rec. & Arts Centre
- South Surrey Indoor Pool-ENTIRE FACILITY AND POOLS WILL REMAIN CLOSED
- Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre-ENTIRE FACILITY AND POOLS WILL REMAIN CLOSED
These facilities include the following resources:
- Wave Pool for our children (Newton).
- 5 Large Public Pools for swim lessons, aqua size, water walking/running for disabled and elderly who cannot otherwise exercise, lifeguard & first aid training to keep lifeguards employed and for competitive athletes who have spent their entire lives training and now trying to make the 2021 Olympic teams to represent City of Surrey.
- Numerous hot tubs, Water slides, Water parks, Toddler Pools, Saunas, Steam Rooms and Family Play Areas
- 4 Ice Rink Facilities with 9 rinks for skating, hockey, curling, spectator sports and more (2 for special abilities).
- 8 Youth Centres with safe, fun and healthy activities and programs to keep our youth off the streets.
- 7 Seniors Centres with activities to allow all seniors to be physically and mentally healthy and engaged instead of being isolated.
- 9 Pre-School Centres for play & learning for the children and for the parents to use the facilities or work.
- 11 Gymnasiums, 9 Weight Rooms and 9 Fitness Studios
- Several Multipurpose Room to hold Birthday parties, functions, courses and meetings.
These resources were designed, built and paid for to be accessible by citizens with special abilities.
The Surrey Leisure Access Program-(LAP) gives up to 100% subsidy to all Surrey low-income families who couldn't otherwise afford to swim, stay healthy, participate in recreation and stay off of the streets. This program is only available when our city run recreation centres are open.
As COVID-19 has already done immeasurable damage to the mental and physical well-being of our families’ lives, we ask you to:
Please safely reopen all indoor recreation facilities in the City of Surrey this year including our pools by following public health protocols.
Our tax dollars have paid for these recreation centres and our children and citizens have a right to safely use them!!
Concerned Citizens & Taxpayers of Surrey BC.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!