Chancellor Dennis Walcott, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, NYC DOE and NYC ECF: Stop the Development of the PS199 Site
This petition had 1,200 supporters
We are a group of concerned Lincoln Square residents strongly opposed to the DOE and ECF’s proposed demolition of the PS199 site on West 70th Street.
We believe the needs of the community can be solve with less disruption, less impact on infrastructure, less destruction of treasured property, less dissipation of the public trust through the unwarranted sale of public assets if the ECF/DOE/City focused on building new schools instead of tearing down and rebuilding existing school.
At the very least, we want the ECF/DOE to conduct a full assessment of current and future educational needs, neighborhood infrastructure requirements, neighborhood housing needs, and to openly engage the community before developing an RFP for P.S. 199, P.S. 191 or The High School for Coop Tech.
Our opposition stems from:
- the plan to build a 50-story, 500+ ft. tall residential building, the tallest mid-block building in the neighboring area, a building that would be nearly as tall as the Trump buildings on Riverside Boulevard;
- the substantial burden to our community's infrastructure, inherent and serious safety risks including extra burden on the 72nd Street subway which is already over utilized and, at rush-hour, unsafe;
- the negative impact on the quality and continuity of PS 199 instruction;
- the potential disruption and displacement of school children;
- the proposal to build a private residential tower above P.S. 199 will exacerbate rather than seriously address our zone’s overcrowding problem;
-the lack of community involvement and transparency in the decision-making process surrounding these proposals given these potential negative impact on our community;
- the PS199 building is designed by Edward Durell Stone and deserves to be preserved and modernized.
We are asking that the ECF/DOE process come to an immediate halt and to engage the community to find better alternatives.
A more detailed list of concerns can be found here: Detailed Petition
Today: David is counting on you
David Saphier needs your help with “Chancellor Dennis Walcott, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, NYC DOE and NYC ECF: Stop the Development of the PS199 Site”. Join David and 1,199 supporters today.