Postpone Class of 2020 CSSD Graduation Ceremonies

0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!

The Class of 2020 is heavily disappointed by the Calgary Catholic School District's decision to cancel graduation ceremonies and banquets. The Class of 2020's student body is proposing to postpone both these events to later dates, keeping in mind the circumstances of COVID-19.

Students understand the current circumstances revolving around COVID-19, and the importance of physical distancing as well as quarantine. All students support the efforts to flatten the curve. The City of Calgary has issued that social gatherings are to be cancelled until June 30th. We are in agreement that there should not be large social gatherings during this critical time. Although, this does not justify the overall cancellations of these events in the long term.

We believe this decision was a poor representation of the interest of our student population, and the CSSD has not been able to “empathize” with us as they claim. We are astonished that the CSSD would consider, "....on-line solutions in consultation with principals"

Students respect the Calgary Catholic School district's decision to cancel these ceremonies due to the current circumstances. We are requesting the postponement of these events to a later date when there is a solution to COVID-19 or the situation is under control. We are open to alternate dates that the CSSD is willing to provide, instead of cancelling the events. Of course, we are aware of the restrictions there are provincially, as well as nationally. With these aspects taken into consideration, we are suggesting this solution. We hope that the students and the CSSD can come to a successful, mutual understanding.

CSSD highlights how proud you are of the 2020 graduates and for all their hard work and commitment to living and learning in the Catholic faith will not go unrecognized. So why cancel graduation events?  Why not postpone?

The students of the CSSD respect the efforts that need to be made for COVID-19, and we are hoping that the CSSD is willing to respect the importance of our ceremonies.

Update: We would like to emphasize that through this petition we only wish for the CSSD  to revisit their decision when it is appropriate to do so with consideration to the COVID-19 situation.