ZONE WESTLAKE subdivision (60D) to WOODCREEK JH in KATY ISD
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
The recent Katy ISD 2019-20 Attendance Boundary Modification (ABM) - JH #16 survey provides three (3) Options for the Westlake neighborhood (Zone 60-D). Options 1 and 2 propose to unfairly re-zone the sub-division to Cinco Ranch Junior High School.
ABM Option 3 is the only reasonable option. Westlake subdivision (Zone 60D) should be zoned to Woodcreek Junior High School and NOT be re-zoned to Cinco Ranch Junior High.
1. To avoid psychological turmoil of changing schools frequently and facilitate a better transition from elementary through to high school. Also, this move would be extremely destabilizing for the Westlake children as they have just settled in to their new schools.
2. Cinco Ranch Junior High is NOT a feeder for Tompkins High School. One of the main benefits of buying into the Westlake neighborhood was the proximity and future attendance at Tompkins High School.
3. To avoid higher transportation cost for Katy ISD by keeping more students within walking distance of Tompkins High School in the future.
4. Greenbusch Rd is a narrow street that can be significantly hazardous when congested. Katy ISD buses will use Greenbusch Rd on route to Cinco Ranch JH. Such a move will only add more traffic to this already congested and narrow street that has ditches on both sides. Major expansion work is planned on Greenbusch Rd in 2019-2020 resulting in additional congestion and hazardous driving conditions that will jeopardize the safety of our children and we all know that SAFETY is a basic pillar and value that Katy ISD is built upon.
1. Open enrolment option – This is a solution that has been previously used by Fort Bend ISD in the Sugarland area. This will provide parents from any zone within Katy ISD an opportunity to voluntarily go to a Junior High and High School that is selected as ‘open-enrolled’ Junior High and High School within Katy ISD.
2. Expand capacity by constructing additional permanent spaces, or, portable classrooms.
3. Consider Option 1 by leaving Zone 60-D at Woodcreek Junior High and move zone(s) 54-A and/or, 54-B to Cinco Ranch Junior High.
The Westlake neighborhood has ~248 houses and has approximately ~100-150 kids who are of school age. Katy ISD’s ABM proposal affects both current and future students of Junior High as this has long-term implications. Our proposal minimizes the effects of future boundary changes and keeps the best interests of our children in the forefront while Katy ISD's ABM Options 1 and 2 do not.
Residents of the Westlake neighborhood (Zone 60D) would like to present our case to the Katy ISD Board involved in the decision-making of this ABM process.
Today: Sandip is counting on you
Sandip Bhattacharya needs your help with “ZONE WESTLAKE subdivision (60D) to WOODCREEK JH in KATY ISD”. Join Sandip and 89 supporters today.