Get 195 Countries to Introduce 30% Youth Quota for Candidates of all Elections
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
51% of world population is now under 30. This makes us the LARGEST youth generation in world history but we make up only 2% of national level legislators in the world.
We, the young people of this world, call on governments and political parties of all 195 countries to introduce LATEST BY 2025 constitutional, legislative, and legal reforms to:
- Allocate a youth quota of at least 30% for candidates under 35 on elected and reserved seats for national, provincial / state, and district / local elections,
- Expand the 30% youth quota to cabinet ministries and parliamentary leadership positions,
- Align minimum eligibility age to run, for at least the district / local political office, with voting eligibility age,
- Ensure proportional representation of gender, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic minorities in the 30% youth quota,
- Impose strict limits on corporate donations and electoral campaign spending, or allocate more funding to electoral campaigns of young candidates.
- 42% of world population is under 25,
- Nearly 98% of world's 195 countries have less than 10% parliamentarians aged under 30,
- More than 75% of world’s upper houses of parliament have NO parliamentarian aged under 30. More than 30% of world’s lower houses of parliament have NO parliamentarian aged under 30,
- 1 in 4 people alive today is a young person aged 15 to 29 but 2 in 5 young people alive today are either not working or working in such poor conditions that they cannot escape poverty,
- 73 million young people aged 15 to 24 are unemployed and 500 million young people survive on less than $2 a day. At least 1 in 4 young people is affected by violence or armed conflict,
- More than one-third of 169 targets of UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) relate to young people,
- UNSC Resolution 2250 calls on Member States to: Transform systems which reinforce exclusion by supporting young people’s political participation, in the form of quotas.
We, the young people believe that:
- We are losing trust in our governments because they treat youth as a problem instead of partner,
- Injustice, discrimination, and exclusion are important drivers of political violence,
- Aspiring young politicians lack recognition and networks needed to gain attention to be successfully nominated by political parties,
- Most young people are either studying, or just beginning their careers, or are unemployed because youth unemployment is high. As a result, we lack the financial resources to run traditional political campaigns. This puts us at a fundamental disadvantage against older politicians,
- Young people today have a better visibility of injustices and human rights abuses happening around the world. This makes us powerful challengers of the status quo because we are globally connected and can offer the most innovative solutions to the most difficult problems of our time. Therefore, governments must undergo a seismic shift in their approach towards us.
We, the LARGEST youth population in world history, present a unique demographic dividend. We are the generation which will be most impacted by environmental, economic, and sociopolitical decisions taken today. Our future is at stake and this is our world’s most historic and urgent window of opportunity to address the crisis of youth political representation. Governments and national political parties of the world MUST make this commitment to the world's young people BY 2025.
SIGN THE PETITION TO JOIN THIS GLOBAL MOVEMENT.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!