Safe pedestrian crossing for Bellevue Hill Public School
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We urgently need the Woollahra Council and State Government to provide a safe access to Bellevue Hill Public School on Birriga Road.
There are no safe and protected crossing options for children coming from a large part of the catchment to access their local primary school.
The only available option is a refuge island located in a turn on an extremely busy street with:
- Cars driving by during school hours often going faster than the safe school zone limit of 40 km/h.
- No clear and visible road signs indicating the presence of this refuge island.
- A permanently damaged safety rail.
This road crossing has been identified as NON-COMPLIANT and marked as a PRIORITY by the Woollahra Council Traffic Committee in April, 2016.
Two years later and nothing has been done.
The minimum safe option would be to:
- Install a raised pedestrian crossing which would give pedestrians full right of way when crossing.
- Install speed humps before the crossing on both sides of the road.
- Provide clear signage to alert drivers to the crossing.
- Install school zone flashing lights to reduce speed during school hours.
Woollahra Council MUST protect its most vulnerable community members, young children and elderly people by showing it takes road safety seriously and prioritising funding for the construction of a safe pedestrian crossing solution.
Please sign to show Woollahra Council that their duty of care is to provide a safe access for young children to their local school now.
Today: Francois is counting on you
Francois Flocard needs your help with “Woollahra : Safe pedestrian crossing for Bellevue Hill Public School”. Join Francois and 336 supporters today.