- Hon. Dr Kim Desmond Hames MLAWA Minister for Health
Improve access to maternity care by midwives known to women
Women are not provided with all their available options of care when they first become pregnant. Research confirms that access to continuity of care with a midwife or team of midwives known to a pregnant women leads to better outcomes.
Access to this option of care is limited in WA, even though structures are in place federally to improve models of care in Maternity services
- WA Minister for Health
Hon. Dr Kim Desmond Hames MLA
Research confirms that access to continuity of care with a midwife or team of midwives known to a pregnant women leads to better outcomes.
To ensure the right of all women to choose with whom they receive maternity care aware of all available choices ; where and how they give birth; to be objectively informed ; and to have ongoing post natal care so that they are confident, safe and calm as possible throughout their care, we ask the following:
• Access to midwifery led models of care at all secondary and tertiary hospitals offering maternity care
• A government endorsed poster for G.P’s providing women with information of all available choices of who can care for them in pregnancy, birth and in the postnatal period and where they can birth
• Publication of hospital specific data including caesarean section rates, induction rates, epidural rates, assisted birth rates, VBAC’s, normal birth at both public and private hospital
• Labour and Birth in water available in ALL hospitals
• Implement as a matter of urgency, access and admittance right for eligible midwives to all public maternity services.
This is a call for all women to have a midwife to provide continuity of midwifery care. To enable women’s birth options and choices to be facilitated by a midwife, ensuring a safe place of birth and adhering to good quality safe care. It is time for the Health Department to facilitate this option of care for women by ensuring that Health Services comply with Maternity Services Plan.
Thankyou for your attention and action to these issues
Beth O'Neil started this petition with a single signature, and now has 444 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Beth is counting on you
Beth O'Neil needs your help with “Hon. Dr Kim Desmond Hames MLA: Improve access to maternity care by midwives known to women”. Join Beth and 443 supporters today.