Vanderbilt University: Increase adequate and thorough education, prevention, and awareness regarding sexual assault and sexual violence on our campus.
Students and sexual assault survivors deserve to attend school on a campus where the safety of the students is a top priority. Similarly, sexual violence continues to be an ongoing epidemic on college campuses across the world with 1 in 4 women being affected by the time they graduate.
Below is a condensed version of the list of demands we are asking the university to join with us in changing on our campus:
- Creation of advocates for victim and the accused
- Academic leniency for survivors
- Housing change option for survivors
- Reporting all statistics: release statistics of reported sexual assaults that do not necessarily go through formal reporting
- Reorganization of Provost Committee on Sexual Assault: explain its methods and goals to students
- Establish a “sexual assault prevention and response office” or assign this title to a person with a designated office space
- Institutionalize adequate and thorough awareness, education, support programs
- Adequately train all staff, faculty, and administrators