- University of Guelph
Guelph: Stop Losing Students to Mental Illness
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000.
Since October 2016, the University of Guelph's student community has lost too many lives to mental illness. These were young, vibrant individuals who felt that they had no one to turn to at the University. In response to each death, the University has provided a brief, generic statement stating a few resources on campus to "assist staff and students"
This is not enough. It's time for the school to acknowledge the prevalence of mental illness on campus. It's time for the school to do their part and prevent these tragedies. There are two things that this petition wants to achieve:
- What is the mental health funding provided by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities going towards? Please include the allocation of this funding to specific on-campus services.
- How has the infrastructure for mental health support changed in the past 5 years?
- What is the ratio of students to counsellors employed by the university? How has this changed throughout the past 5 years?
- How many people have attended counselling for the past 5 years?
- Has there been an increase in the need for mental health related support within on-campus residences?
- What are the areas of need amongst the student community?
- What is the school going to do moving forward? When can we expect these changes?
- Can the school show that these changes will be evidence based (i.e. scientific literature)?
- Can the school show that these changes are what our specific student community needs?
Students, staff, parents and alumni are getting fed up. Mental illness is very real, and it is time for the school to take it seriously.
Written by: Connie Ly on behalf of the signees.
BSc. Biomedical Sciences (Guelph, 2016)
MSc. Public Health (McGill, 2018)
Today: Connie is counting on you
Connie Ly needs your help with “University of Guelph: Guelph: Stop Losing Students to Mental Illness”. Join Connie and 3,059 supporters today.