Mandate full insurance coverage for the treatment of an eating disorder.
This petition had 455 supporters
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
- Almost 50% of people with eating disorders have depression
- Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents
- Only 1 in 10 men and women with eating disorders receive treatment
- Only 35% of people that receive treatment for an eating disorder get treatment at a specialized facility for eating disorders
Eating disorder treatment costs on average $30,000 a month, and receiving full insurance coverage is nearly impossible.
Insurance companies will usually only partially cover treatment or not at all for lack of evidence that treatment is effective. If eating disorders are not treated early enough, they will progress until the physical effects are to disabling for recovery. If insurance companies were to first cover the underlying problem- the eating disorder - the likelihood of recovery will increase reducing the mortality rate and be more cost effective.
Eating disorder treatment puts a huge financial burden on the patient and their family.
It is crucial for society to recognize that lack of treatment for eating disorders is an issue, and to act upon it. A new federal law mandating more funding for treatment research, prevention methods in school and full insurance coverage for eating disorder treatment will make a change for the better in society.
Today: Alex is counting on you
Alex Boylston needs your help with “United States Congress: Mandate full insurance coverage for the treatment of an eating disorder.”. Join Alex and 454 supporters today.