Ban on plastic disposable plates, cups, and cutlery; promote biodegradable alternatives
0 have signed. Let’s get to 25,000!
Everyday we make use of millions of disposable plastic plates, cups, spoons, forks, knife etc. that end up in trash after single use. Some examples of this are drinking water from a water dispenser in any one of the NHS Hospitals or buying soup from any high street food store / take away joint. We all use plastic products as they are economical, however we overlook the cost of recycling or disposing plastic and the ill effects of plastic on our natural resources such as soil, lakes, rivers, mountains, sea, animals, birds, marine life to name a few. Some hard-hitting facts about plastic:
· Some of these compounds found in plastic have been found to alter hormones or have other potential human health effects.
· 50 percent of the plastic we use, we use just once and throw away; only 1 to 3% of all plastics used is recycled globally
· Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times
· We now use about 20 times more plastic than we did 50 years ago.
· Plastic can take up 500 to 1000 years to decompose!
There are several alternatives that are available easily today - example some Chinese / Japanese take away joints offer cutlery made of wood but they still use containers that have some plastic in it.
Like we banned plastic bags from the stores, it is time for us now to ban other plastic products where we have alternate options. We need to force restaurants, large & small retailers and consumers to move away from plastic and switch to sustainable and environmental friendly options.
France has done it, the ban comes into effect in 2020. So what are we waiting for?
Please act before it is too late. Sign this petition and support the cause to save the environment and the future generations.
Today: Akshay is counting on you
Akshay Upadhye needs your help with “UK Government: Ban on plastic disposable plates, cups, and cutlery, promote biodegradable alternatives”. Join Akshay and 23,379 supporters today.