Transform Chicago Dept Public Health
Chicago’s Logan Square Kitchen is a shared commercial kitchen made available to food entrepreneurs on an hourly basis. Farmer’s market vendors, wholesale bakers, small artisanal producers, and caterers can start a business in a commercial kitchen long before they could afford it. It allows people to start their own business with less risk, and serves as an economic engine for our community.
As an innovative business model, we have been inspected by the Health Dept. 19 times in less than 2 years, five times more than the Chicago Health code requires. As a result, many businesses are not inspected, while non-hazardous micro-enterprises are over-inspected. So, we're FED UP.
We look forward to offering this petition to City officials that we believe will foster economic development while better allocating Health Dept. resources.
- Chicago Mayor Emanuel & Health Commissioner Couchair
We, the undersigned, look forward to new policies in Chicago that will transform our food system into a vibrant one, helping all citizens become healthier. To that end, Chicago’s Health Department needs care and attention as follows:
1. Our Local Food Community should be represented on the Chicago Board of Health—currently consisting of doctors and lawyers. Public health will benefit greatly from the perspective of those working to heal our local food system.
2. Food Safety Division of Chicago Dept. of Public Health needs fresh, qualified leadership—a person with a strong moral compass and food business background to serve a changing and vital sector of our economy. Get suggestions from successful food businesses and restaurants.
3. Provide an independent ombudsman to hear complaints and order corrective action.
4. Fire non-performing employees, no matter who they know or how long their tenure. Empower the right people in the right jobs to make changes as they see fit.
5. Engage us, the citizens of Chicago; we’re ready to participate in our government and work with City workers to make our City the envy of major cities worldwide. Let’s go!
Thank you! Our goal of 23,000 represents one signature for each food business in Chicago. Please help light a fire under CDPH!
Zina Murray, owner, Logan Square Kitchen
Today: Zina is counting on you
Zina Murray needs your help with “Transform Chicago Dept Public Health”. Join Zina and 1,155 supporters today.