Petition Closed

Save Tooting Market, Don't Allow CrossRail 2 to Compulsory Purchase Any of Tooting Market!

This petition had 3,078 supporters

Dear Friends of Tooting Market,

After meeting with the Cross Rail 2 Team at Transport for London (TFL) on September 15th 2016, the Tooting Market owner and market manager had been advised by TFL that the current proposal for the Cross Rail 2 ventilation shaft at Tooting Broadway would require the compulsory purchase for at least 65% of Tooting Market. The current design would force the closure of Tooting Market as the remaining approx. 35% would not be feasible to operate as a market.

Further, once the works would be completed, the land where the market was positioned, would be sold off to developers for a new commercial/residential scheme. 

Any such proposal for bringing Cross Rail 2 to Tooting Broadway would mean the end of an historic nearly century old Tooting Market, which hosts over 60 unique businesses and over 100 staff, as well as playing a major role in the local community for events, pop ups, charities, cinema nights and much more.

Therefore, we at Tooting Market, are asking the Mayor of London (Sadiq Khan), the Secretary for Transport (Chris Grayling) & the Head of Cross Rail 2 (Michele Dix), to ensure that any proposal to bring Cross Rail 2 to Tooting Broadway, will guarantee the safeguarding for all of Tooting Market in it's entirety, even if it means to move the station to another site.

Please help us #SaveTootingMarket by signing the petition and sharing it with others.

Thank you.

Tooting Market Management

Today: Roi is counting on you

Roi Mengelgrein needs your help with “Tooting Market Management: Save Tooting Market, Don't Allow CrossRail 2 to Compulsory Purchase Any of Tooting Market!”. Join Roi and 3,077 supporters today.