Petition Closed

Ease the 2 year Residency test for Housing and other Benefits on British Citizens Abroad

This petition had 4,219 supporters

Currently British Citizens face a Habitual Residence test when making an initial claim for benefits and housing assistance in the UK. One must prove they have been habitually resident in the UK for a minimum of 2 years before they can make a claim for benefits including housing. This makes it impossible for British Citizens from overseas territories to move to the UK unless they can stay with family or friends. Some may not have family or friends in the UK.

We are therefore asking the UK Government to to ease this restriction for British Overseas Territories Citizens in Anguilla the British Virgin Islands and the Turks and Caicos all of whom have been severely impacted by Hurricane Irma and are facing the Threat of Hurricane Jose. Their main economy is Tourism which has been completely destroyed and will take years to rebuild. The people of those territories are British Citizens and have a right to Live and work in the UK (Right of Abode) many of these people do not have friends of family in the UK whom they may stay with when they arrive and will require financial and housing assistance from the UK government.

Also a British Citizens cannot obtain a National Insurance Number (NINO) which is essential for work, claiming benefits and paying National Insurance contributions (Social Security) from outside the UK, however foreigners applying for a visa to work in the UK can obtain their NINO before they arrive. This is absolute bias against British Citizens and persistent ridicule. A British Citizen would have to come to the UK then gain an appointment for a NINO which takes up to 2 weeks or longer. How will they survive?


Today: Euen is counting on you

Euen Herbert needs your help with “Theresa May MP: Remove Housing and other Benefits restriction on British Citizens in Overseas Territories”. Join Euen and 4,218 supporters today.