Stop Salgaa, Kenya Road Deaths
This petition had 17,895 supporters
Your Excellency, The President of The Republic of Kenya, Honorable Uhuru Kenyatta.
Sir, I am sending a plea through this forum to you with heavy and sorrowful heart. Over the last two months, we have heard and seen grizzly pictures of deaths occurring in or around that section of the road famously and aptly named black spot area; Salgaa in Nakuru county. In the month of November, we witnessed all passengers in a minibus die. You might remember that amongst them was a young couple who were returning home from a graduation in JKUAT. Mr. Jared Chirchir perished with his wife who had just graduated with a MBA. Just a few days later, another Probox car carrying young talented artists was crashed killing six people instantly. I may not be able to narrate other hundreds or thousands who have lost their lives are impacted by deaths in this section of the road. However, we do not forget that even senior government officials have perished in the section of the road. The late State House Comptroller Mr. Wilson Chepkwony perished there. The area I am referring to is between Molo and Ngata area of Nakuru County.
Your Excellency, it is not a strange think that even the eye of a lay person realizes that the design of the road between the two polar sides of the said section conveys many to unavoidable crashes, roll overs and subsequent deaths. Sir, the economic impact and human life toll cannot be over emphasized. The cries of the dying and those maimed, the widows, orphans, widowers, parents, and communities are loud over the hills tops and valleys of the country.
Sir, I am requesting for an immediate attention to this section of the road. Your government may be already addressing this, and I greatly appreciate if it so. However, since we hear or see nothing, I have take the risk of raising with you, even bypassing the relevant departments since I fear that someone or other people will die soon. As long as I and others who have continue to use this road still have our lives not snapped away in this section, Your Excellency, please I beg, listen to these please. I ask that your government should consider the following.
1. Immediate order that the stretch between Total Junction and Nakuru Town be immediately designed and made a dual carriage. We know funds will be available when there is a political will to save the lives of your subjects.
2. That the road signages be immediately erected and be monitored. Those vandalizing them and using them for Jua Kali purposes be apprehended and prosecuted.
3. That the town called Salgaa should have a frontage road with an underpass approach starting at least 5 kilometres on either side. This should prevent parking of those long trucks on the shoulders of the road.
4. That the bridge just below Salgaa should be designed in such a way that the approach is gentle and straight. The current approach is very steep from Molo side and forms a sharp bend on the bridge.
5. That other roads especially the Nakuru – Eldama Ravine – Makutano be expanded to allow larger trucks to use it. This will decongest this Molo – Nakuru section. Also consider Nakuru -Njoro – Molo – Mau Summit road for upgrade.
6. That road blocks be removed especially those that miraculously appear at night and disappear in the morning. Instead, there should be unmarked, mobile NTSA and police patrols.
7. That in one of your addresses, please acknowledge that this section of the road has taken many lives and needs to be attended to.
8. That the management a national commission be created to study and recommend changes in designing and building better roads in Kenya.
I believe that my prayers represent those of thousands who are silently bleeding and pleading for some actions.
Thank you, Your Excellency.
Phone: (+1763 568 4269).
Today: Kibet is counting on you
Kibet Kurgat needs your help with “The President of The Republic of Kenya: Stop Salgaa, Kenya Road Deaths”. Join Kibet and 17,894 supporters today.