The Mayor of Bristol: please stop BRT2
This petition had 3,914 supporters
Note that the route of BRT2(renamed Metrobus) has been changed to take it out of the Harbour and Prince Street Bridge. However a number of the problems associated with BRT2 still apply and so we continue to campaign on this.
Dear Mayor of Bristol, please stop BRT2 for the following reasons:
1. This proposed diesel bus service will destroy the recreational enjoyment of part of Bristol’s Harbour, the Avon New Cut and Ashton Vale fields by introducing noise, air pollution, ugliness and traffic.
2. 60 buses an hour (from 3 BRT routes) crossing Prince Street bridge and using Wapping Road and Prince St by 2016 at peak times is unacceptable and unworkable.
3. Bristol Council tax payers are expected to fund 80% of any overspend on this high risk project.
4. Space will be taken away from cyclists and pedestrians in now well used areas.
5. The Harbour steam train to Create will not operate for 2 years during BRT2 construction.
6. BRT2 includes no new bus services. The proposed BRT service (rerouted from Hotwell Road) will be a less comfortable and longer route for most existing passengers. With changes to road layouts, existing services could be improved at a fraction of the expected cost.
Today: Mike is counting on you
Mike Ginger needs your help with “The Mayor of Bristol: please stop BRT2”. Join Mike and 3,913 supporters today.