Stop Abbott's $7 GP Co-pay!
To the Honourable President and members of the Senate in Parliament assembled:
The petition of the undersigned Victorian Aboriginal community and other concerned citizens shows:
- Imposing a $7 Medicare co-payment on Doctor visits and medical tests (e.g. blood tests, ultrasounds, x-rays) will be bad for the health of all Australians but more so for the Aboriginal community.
- Introducing co-payments will not close the gap in health outcomes; it will widen the gap between Aboriginal people and the rest of the community.
- A co-payment will increase health care and administration costs for both Government and health care providers. This will leave less money to provide the community with the care they need because more is spent on administration.
- This will hurt the sickest and poorest people in our community. $7 means a lot more to the most disadvantaged among us, especially those in low-income households or with chronic illness.
- Discouraging people from visiting their GP will interfere with the early detection of illnesses and preventive action such as immunisation. There will be more illness in our community.
We ask that the Senate:
Oppose the implementation of the $7 Medicare co-payment.
How can I get involved in the campaign?
- Sign the VACCHO change.org petition
- Send a letter to your local MP or to the Prime Minister
- Tell your story of how you, your patients or your community will be affected at CoPayStories.com.au
- Let people know why you believe that the $7 co-payment is bad for your community
If you use Twitter:
- Tell your story with the hashtag #CoPayStories #CoPayNoWay
- Follow @VACCHO_org on Twitter and retweet us
- The Australian Senate
Oppose the implementation of the $7 Medicare co-payment
Today: Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation is counting on you
Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation needs your help with “The Australian Senate: Stop Abbott's $7 GP Co-pay!”. Join Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation and 716 supporters today.