The City of Tulsa, through the Tulsa Authority for the Recovery of Energy (TARE), has to award a new contract for refuse collection because the current contract is about to expire (after 32 years). In the process, they have developed proposed changes to the city’s trash service that represent significant improvements, such as:
* Those with less trash will pay less
* Greater ease in recycling for no added fee like we pay now
* Reduction in the amount of trash our city disposes, which reduces trash going into the landfill and lowers our disposal fees
* Reducing (through CNG vehicles) city air pollutants, which will help keep Tulsa off the federal “dirty air” list, thus avoiding job losses, higher costs, greatly increased regulation and higher gas pump prices
* Reduce heavy truck wear and tear on our streets (which taxpayers have to pay to repair) through dramatically improved routes (the current route system is like spaghetti – all over the city!)
* Cleaner streets on trash day with provided containers that have attached lids
They will still offer the special for-fee services they do today, such as backyard pick-up, etc., for those who want that.
However, a small number of extremely vocal opponents have whipped up a frenzy of misinformation and fear about these changes, causing some to question whether Tulsans want the above improvements. Well, guess what!? WE DO!
Please sign the petition so that TARE, the Tulsa City Council and the Tulsa Mayor’s office know there ARE Tulsans who want better trash service and lots of us! If they don’t hear from us, they will assume the opinion of the more vocal stands for us all and that might put these improvements in jeopardy. Let them hear from you!
If you are still not convinced, go to www.tulsansforbettertrashservice.com for more information about why this is important.