- Dairy Farmers of America
- Rick SmithPresident and Chief Executive Officer
- Mark KorsmeyerExecutive Vice President
- Brad KeatingSenior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Tell the Dairy Industry to Stop Abusing Animals
A new, stomach-turning undercover investigative video by Mercy For Animals reveals workers at Cactus Acres Holsteins in Colorado—a Dairy Farmers of America cooperative farm—maliciously abusing animals. The video shows:
- Workers violently punching and kicking cows in their faces and bodies
- Animals with open wounds and infections denied proper veterinary care
- Cows stabbed with screwdrivers and viciously hit with milking equipment
- Workers pulling cows’ tails for several minutes at a time to “punish” them
This is the eighth hidden-camera investigation by MFA into the dairy industry. Sadly, each of these investigations has uncovered a pattern of extreme cruelty, neglect, and violence. Treated as mere milk-producing machines, cows exploited for milk and cheese endure lives of near constant misery and deprivation.
MFA reported the abuses to farm management and quickly presented local law enforcement authorities with the video footage and a detailed legal complaint outlining clear violations of Colorado’s anti-cruelty laws. MFA is calling on the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department and District Attorney’s Office to take swift and decisive action in pursuing justice for these abused and exploited animals.
We are also calling on Dairy Farmers of America to immediately adopt meaningful animal welfare guidelines and oversight for all of its member farms. As a national milk marketing cooperative with nearly 15,000 member farms, Dairy Farmers of America has not only the power, but also the responsibility to end many of the worst forms of animal abuse in the dairy industry.
Please help us put a stop to animal abuse in the dairy industry by signing this petition calling on Dairy Farmers of America to immediately implement meaningful animal welfare requirements and oversight at its member farms.
- Dairy Farmers of America
- President and Chief Executive Officer
- Executive Vice President
- Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
I am writing to you about the recent undercover investigation exposing sickening animal abuse at one of your member farms. Workers were caught on hidden camera sadistically kicking, punching, and beating cows.
This must be stopped.
This is only the latest in a string of undercover investigations that have exposed criminal animal abuse in the dairy industry.
It's time for Dairy Farmers of America to adopt meaningful animal welfare requirements (not mere recommendations) for all of its member farms, including:
• Implementing a zero-tolerance policy for kicking, punching, and stabbing cows
• Prohibiting painful and unnecessary mutilations of animals, such as tail docking
• Requiring members to provide a safe and sanitary environment for cattle
• Initiating third-party audits to ensure compliance with DFA’s policy
• Installing video monitoring systems that live stream to the internet to help deter abuse
In recent years, Nestlé, Leprino Foods, Saputo, and Great Lakes Cheese, four of the largest dairy companies in North America, announced industry-leading animal welfare policy reforms. It’s time Dairy Farmers of America does the same.
Mercy For Animals started this petition with a single signature, and now has 151,874 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Mercy For Animals is counting on you
Mercy For Animals needs your help with “Tell the Dairy Industry to Stop Abusing Animals”. Join Mercy For Animals and 151,873 supporters today.