- Sage DunstonCongressional Staff, Sen. Kay Hagan
- Kay HaganSenator
Tell Senator Hagan to Cosponsor the DREAM Act
10 WAYS TO TAKE ACTION
1. Sign the email below and call Senator Kay Hagan and tell her to meet with the three immigrant youth that are on a hunger strike because they will not eat a single bite until she co-sponsors the DREAM Act. You can reach her offices at the following numbers:
D.C. (202) 224-6342
Raleigh (919) 856-4630
Greensboro (336) 333-5311
2. Organize your youth or community organization to come and hold a vigil where we are camping. To arrange a vigil with us, please contact Justin Valas at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Fast for one day in solidarity with us. You can send a message to your friends and tell them the reason you are fasting and ask them to take action too.
4. Make a t-shirt that you can wear in solidarity with us. For example: "I stand in solidarity with the hunger strikers (front). I support education for all! (back)."
5. Contribute to our DREAMs by providing us with supplies such as water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, poster boards, markers, tape, scissors, and any other educational and outreach supplies. For further information or suggestions, e-mail us at dreamteamNC@gmail.com
6.Donate your skills. We are in need of a medical team to check our vitals, be on-call, and/or provide as-needed medical assistance. To sign-up for our medical team, contact Rebecca Fontaine at email@example.com
7.Donate to our cause. Monetary donations are always appreciated. Your donation could be used for paying for our portable toilet, internet (there's no wireless at our camp-site), emergency supplies, etc. E-mail Emily Cabaniss at firstname.lastname@example.org
8.Volunteer. We have all types of opportunities! As days pass by, our bodies are becoming weaker. We are in great need of security and support volunteers. For more info, email email@example.com
9.Support us through Facebook: "Supporters of the DREAM Team NC," or follow us on Twitter: @NCDREAMTeam.
10. Follow our blog with daily updates: ncdreamteam.wordpress.com
- Congressional Staff, Sen. Kay Hagan
I am writing to urge you to follow the example of moderate Democrat Senator Evan Bayh and co-sponsor the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act (HR. 1751).
The DREAM Act is a bipartisan proposal, which would create a pathway to legalization for thousands of young students who were brought to the United States years ago as children. If Congress fails to act this year, another entire class of outstanding, law-abiding high school students will graduate without being able to plan for the future, and some will be removed from their homes to countries they barely know.
This tragedy will cause America to lose a vital asset: an educated class of promising immigrant students who have demonstrated a commitment to hard work and a strong desire to be contributing members of our society.
In North Carolina, undocumented immigrant students actually benefit the state by paying out of state tuition. The DREAM Act would not change this, and in fact, the state would reap the rewards of having a more educated workforce.
The DREAM Act is not a substitute for comprehensive immigration solutions but it is a step in the right direction away from enforcement-only solutions and builds support for a broader overhaul by delivering a much-needed victory to immigrant communities devastated by raids and deportations and enabling immigrant youth to step out of the shadows to fight for their families. It really is a no-brainer.
Please support the hunger strikers and co-sponsor the Dream Act immediately.
Prerna Lal started this petition with a single signature, and now has 495 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.