A Hilton Hotel in southwest China lost its five star rating this week after an underground brothel was found to be operating out of the hotel last month. While law enforcement hasn't released the ages of the persons identified in the underground brothel, similar brothels have contained children and human trafficking victims. And this isn't the first time an underground brothel has been operating at a Hilton Hotel. In 2008, a brothel was being run out of a Hilton in Ireland. And Consumerist named the Hilton in Washington DC the third most prostitution-friendly hotel in the city, based on the phone records of the DC Madme. I would hope that with so many brothels being operated out of their hotels, Hilton would take pains to ensure that none of them involve children.
Companies like Hilton have the power to help prevent the the forced prostitution of children on their watch. Please, ask them to do so.
The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism (www.thecode.org), developed by ECPAT in conjunction with the travel industry, can help your business become a more responsible member of our local and global community.
A recent survey shows that travelers strongly support companies that implement The Code. To date, more than 900 companies across the word have signed ‘The Code’ and your company can be the next to join them.
Under this voluntary Code, a company agrees to:
1. Establish an ethical policy regarding commercial sexual exploitation of children.
2. Train the personnel in the country of origin and travel destinations.
3. Introduce a clause in contracts with suppliers, stating the common repudiation of commercial sexual exploitation of children.
4. Provide information to travelers by means of catalogues, brochures, in-flight films, ticketslips, web-sites, etc.
5. Provide information to local ’’key persons’’ at the destinations.
6. Report annually.
Putting an end to child prostitution is urgent to me. You truly have the power to prevent child sex trafficking and exploitation in your hotels around the world. Please, act now to end child prostitution. I will follow up on your decision and this will be affecting my purchases in the future.
Thank you for you time.