What is ‘fracking’?:
Hydraulic fracturing, or ‘fracking’, is a process used by oil and gas companies of extracting natural gas by drilling into the earth and breaking up rock formations by injecting tens of thousands of gallons of hazardous and proprietary chemicals into the ground.
Gov. Kasich has said hydraulic fracking would be a ‘godsend’ for Ohio. He could not be farther from the truth. In reality, fracking will benefit out of state workers and corporations, create boom and bust local economies, jeopardize the public health of Ohioans, and disturb natural environments.
Some Facts About Fracking:
• Drillers are exempt from EPA guidelines like the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act
• Drilling releases Nitrogen Oxide and Volatile Organic Compounds, resulting in destructive surface smog
• Researchers have found almost 600 different chemicals in fracking fluid, including benzene, a known carcinogen
• Over 80,000 pounds of the fracking fluid are injected into the earth's crust to frack each well. Wells can be fracked over a dozen times during the production cycle.
• Up to 80% of the Fracking Fluid remains in the ground and is not biodegradable
• Fracking may also be linked to hundreds of recent earthquakes in Arkansas
• The current horizontal fracking boom only began in 2005. Despite industry claims of a long track record, less than ten wells in Ohio are horizontally fracked.
• The United States EPA is currently doing a comprehensive fracking study that will have data in 2012 and a complete report in 2014
• The NJ State Legislature has just sent a bi-partisan Ban on fracking to Gov. Christie. New York has banned fracking on state lands and in important watersheds while putting instituting regulations to protect people and the environment
• France has recently passed a country-wide ban on fracking and Quebec, Canada has a moratorium on horizontal fracking
• 6 municipalities in Ohio have passed bans or resolutions against fracking
What You Can Do:
Sign our petition now to tell Gov. Kasich and the State Legislature: Don’t Frack Up Ohio! Suspend all fracking in Ohio until the proper studies are done and safety regulations are in place!
Tell Gov. Kasich and his allies that contaminating water supplies with toxic chemicals, disturbing natural environments, and releasing hazardous air emissions into communities is not okay.
A boom and bust economy that will create profits for out of state workers and corporations is not worth risking our safe drinking water, health and public safety, or degradation of our natural environments.
Ohio lacks the strong and necessary regulations and to protect Ohioans and our natural environment. Once again, John Kasich is putting the profits of his rich CEO buddies ahead of the health and safety of everyday Ohioans.
Tell John Kasich and our elected Representatives, enough is enough. Don’t Frack Up Ohio!
Recently Gov. Kasich said hydraulic fracturing, also known as fracking, would be a ‘godsend’ for Ohio. He could not be farther from the truth.
Fracking would increase risks to public safety by contaminating water supplies with toxic chemicals, disturbing natural environments, and releasing hazardous air emissions into communities.
Fracking is a risky and largely unregulated process. Ohio has only a handful of horizontal fracking wells and has not done the proper research into the drastic consequences that are occurring in Pennsylvania, New York, and out in the West. many want to go full speed ahead but Ohio lacks the strong and necessary regulations and to protect Ohioans and our natural environment.
House Bill 165 does not adequately address high volume horizontal fracking and even the 2010 STRONGER report stated "future program changes in Ohio would be necessitated by the anticipated development of the Marcellus and Utica Shales." Since the time of that report, nothing has changed in Ohio.
New York recently instituted a one year moratorium to do environmental studies and pass regulations to protect their constituents and environment. The New Jersey State Legislature just passed a bi-partisan ban on fracking with huge majorities.
It is not worth risking our safe drinking water, health and public safety, or degradation of our natural environments to create profits for out of state workers and corporations.
Please take a step back and suspend all horizontal hydraulic fracturing in the State of Ohio until the proper studies have been done and safety regulations have been adopted. Please don’t Frack up Ohio.
ProgressOhio started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,079 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.