In California, 18 pet product retailers and manufacturers agreed, as part of a lawsuit settlement, to add a warning label to flea and tick collars clearly stating: "This product contains propoxur, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer."
But propoxur doesn't stop being toxic once you cross state lines.
The Natural Resources Defense Council found high levels of propoxur -- which is not only a carcinogen, but can cause damage to the brain and nervous system -- on the fur of pets after using ordinary flea collars.
Pets are in danger of ingesting toxic chemicals on their fur, as they frequently lick their coats. It also puts family members in danger, especially children who are prone to putting their hands in their mouths after petting the dog.
The Environmental Protection Agency's own risk assessment of flea collars confirms the NRDC's conclusion: these products pose unacceptably high risks.
The NRDC petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency to remove propoxur from flea collars nationwide, but the EPA hasn't acted yet. While California consumers now have fair warning about propoxur, the rest of the country's pets are still at risk.
Killing off fleas and ticks shouldn't also mean endangering your pet's life. Ask the EPA to protect pets and families by taking propoxur off the market.
Photo credit: overdrive_cz
As a result of the settlement, the companies agreed to include a warning label on products in the state that says: "This product contains propoxur, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer."
But propoxur isn't just toxic in California. Flea and tick products are sold to consumers across the country without warning them that they could be putting their pets and families at risk. A study by NRDC found the pesticide in high levels on pets' fur after normal use of a flea collar.
Children are particularly at risk for damage to the brain or nervous system from propoxur in flea collars, because they often put their hands in their mouths after petting the family the dog or crawling on the floor, and their developing bodies are particularly sensitive to toxic chemicals. Pets are also at risk of ingesting the pesticide.
This chemical is too toxic to be sold without a warning in California, and it shouldn't be on the shelves at all. Please protect pets and families by banning propoxur from pet products.