- Stephen HarperPrime Minister of Canada
- Peter BoehmAmbassador of Canada to Germany
- Marc LortieAmbassador of Canada to France
- Ralph LysyshynAmbassador of Canada to Russia
- David MulroneyAmbassador of Canada to China
- Gail SheaMinister of Fisheries and Oceans
- Stephen HarperLeader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
Tell Canada to End Its Shameful Seal Slaughter
For thousands of years, harp seals have migrated from Greenland down the coast of Canada, stopping each spring to give birth on the ice floes. Every year, a band of fishers descends on the ice to beat hundreds of thousands of seals to death and sell the animals' pelts on the international fur market. Sealers routinely hook baby seals in the eye, cheek, or mouth and drag them across the ice, often while the animals are still conscious. Many of the seals killed in the massacre are only a few weeks old.
Baby seals stand no chance against club-wielding seal hunters-pups must look on as fellow seals are bludgeoned to death only to then meet the same bloody fate. The commercial seal slaughter is an off-season profit venture for the fishing industry, and it accounts for less than 1 percent of Newfoundland's economy. The seal slaughter is not a subsistence activity for native peoples-Inuit sealing accounts for only about 3 percent of the annual slaughter.
The price of seal fur is plummeting as international outrage against the seal slaughter rises. The U.S. and the European Union have banned seal products, and world leaders such as President Barack Obama and His Holiness The Dalai Lama have denounced the massacre.
The annual seal slaughter will continue unless people like you speak out and take action to stop it, so please add your voice to the global outcry against Canada's shameful seal massacre. Please write to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and Canadian ambassadors around the world to demand that they bring the massacre to an immediate end.
- Member of Parliament Calgary Southwest
- Prime Minister of Canada
- Ambassador of Canada to Germany
- Ambassador of Canada to France
- Ambassador of Canada to Russia
- Ambassador of Canada to China
- Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
- Leader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
I was shocked to learn that the Canadian government allows hundreds of thousands of seals to be slaughtered in the annual war on seals. These gentle animals are shot or have their skulls smashed in by sealers. Seals are then skinned for their fur, often while they are still conscious.
Please end the seal slaughter immediately and spare Canada any further embarrassment.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,137 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.