We, the undersigned, members of Big Push for Midwives Campaign and other concerned citizens, call upon the leadership and members of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists to end the war that this professional trade group has waged against home birth and Certified Professional Midwives (“CPMs”). This petition refers to the “College” and the “Congress” as “ACOG,” since the two groups are two sides of the same coin.
In this Petition, we present ACOG with these demands:
1. Stop misleading the American people, the media, and the federal and state governments about home birth!
2. Stop bullying American women about their birth-related decisions and choices!
3. End ACOG self-serving opposition to state regulation of licensed midwives!
4. Stop disparaging the education, credentials, skills, and abilities of Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs)!
5. Stop ACOG attempts to exclude CPMs from important federal maternal-child health care legislation!
Who are we? We are mothers who have given birth at home or in a birth center or who plan to give birth at home or in a birth center. We are family members who participated in an out-of-hospital birth or wish to do so. We are health professionals. We are advocates for women’s rights, for parents’ rights, and for better maternity health care. We are citizens, not K Street lobbyists, and we are united in our belief that women and families have the right to a legal home birth attended by a regulated Certified Professional Midwife.
Honor midwives on International Midwives Day and honor mothers on Mothers Day with a generous donation to the Big Push for Midwives Campaign, so we can continue our fight against ACOG to ensure that legal Certified Professional Midwives are accessible for all U.S. mothers. We need your contributions now. Please click here to donate.
The Big Push for Midwives started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,775 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.