- Tim CookCEO of Apple
- Steve BallmerCEO of Microsoft
- Jeff BezosCEO of Amazon
Tell Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon.com to Clean our Cloud
Let's get the internet off coal.
Giant data centres which store and send the terabytes of pictures, emails, songs and streaming videos we enjoy every day are now one of the fastest growing sources of new electricity demand in the world. Every day, tons of asthma-inducing, climate destroying coal pollution is thrown in the air to keep the Internet humming.
But there’s hope! The tech industry is led by a few very large companies who can choose to quit the coal habit. Thanks to you, Facebook already has. So we're kicking off a campaign to see Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple — three of the largest owners of data centres in the world — make the switch.
Send a quick note to the CEO'S of Microsoft, Amazon and Apple, asking them to clean up the cloud.
- CEO of Apple
- CEO of Microsoft
- CEO of Amazon
We need to talk Green IT. The coal-fired power plants that energize your giant data centers are one of the world's top sources of airborne carcinogens and greenhouse gases.
You've probably seen the Greenpeace International report confirming just how much coal is being burned to keep all those servers online. It casts quite a cloud over all that IT innovation, but the facts are easy to see: Our data is downright dirty.
But you have an opportunity to clear things up, by leading us toward the realization of IT that is powered by the sun and the wind, not dirty coal. Here's what you can do to make it happen:
- Make it company policy to seek renewable energy when siting your data centres.
- Urge your electricity suppliers to move away from dirty energy generation, investing instead in renewable energy generation, capacity, and efficiency.
- Advocate full transparency of your energy use and carbon footprint for all products, as well as your cloud presence.
- Encourage your product suppliers and manufacturers to adopt similar policies, and give preferences to green suppliers
As an environmentally aware digital citizen, I'm asking you to help us all breathe a little easier by working with Greenpeace to create a world where data centers powered by dirty coal are a thing of the past. Along with being the source of so many IT breakthroughs, you'll literally give us all a breath of fresh air.
Greenpeace started this petition with a single signature, and now has 187 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.