Over the next few hours and days we have a chance to lend our support to the toughest proposal put forward to tackle modern slavery… ever.
A member of parliament in Scotland is working to gather support for their plan to tackle modern slavery, which is packed with the best practice recommendations from the world’s foremost modern slavery experts. Their aim is to ‘make Scotland the most unwelcome place in the world for human trafficking’.1
But this isn’t just about Scotland. If successful, we would have new gold standard guidelines that could be used to inspire strong, binding legislation against modern slavery around the world.
At the moment this is just a proposal – the Scottish Government has to agree to bring this into law. For the next few days we have the chance to persuade them: members of the public have been invited to have their say as part of a consultation on this important effort to tackle modern slavery.
Lawyers, activists, policy-makers and academics are united in their support for the suggested policies, which would:
- Establish a ‘Survivors Service’ to identify, assist and seek justice for victims.
- Ensure stronger penalties for traffickers and those that help them.
- Make special provisions for the child victims of trafficking, including allocating an expert guardian to fight for their rights.
These are vital moves to help the survivors of modern slavery in Scotland rebuild their lives, but also ensure no one else need suffer the same fate. If this becomes law, we can demand that other world leaders follow this lead.
This could be a game-changing initiative in the fight against modern slavery – add your voice in support today.
- Member of Scottish Parliament
I welcome your proposal for a Human Trafficking Bill in Scotland and believe this should be taken forward into law.
I agree that:
* A comprehensive, legally-binding strategy against human trafficking should be developed and implemented by the Scottish Government.
* A 'Survivors Service' should be established to identify, assist and seek justice for victims.
* There should be strong penalties for those found guilty of human trafficking and those that help them.
* Special provisions should be made for the child victims of trafficking, including the allocation an expert guardian to fight for their rights.
Strong legislation is an important first step in tackling modern slavery and I hope that this initiative will act as an example to inspire similar efforts elsewhere around the world.
Walk Free started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,953 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.