- James ReillyMinister for Health
- Alan ShatterMinister for Justice and Equality
- Enda KennyTaoiseach of Ireland
Support Reproductive Rights in Ireland. Legalise Abortion NOW
Follow us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SupportReproductiveRightsInIreland
Ireland is one of only two EU countries where women cannot have an abortion, as the recent death of Savita Halappanavar in Galway has so shockingly brought to the fore. Despite pressure from international bodies like the UN and the European Parliament, Ireland's government continues to deny women choice over their own bodies, their own decisions and their own lives.
Each year, thousands of women in Ireland are forced to travel abroad seeking abortions, often unaccompanied, vulnerable and with few resources. For example, Information released by the UK’s Department of Health, shows that between 2008 and 2011, a total of 17,574 Irish women sought abortions.
It is time for Ireland to reform its medieval stance on women’s rights and women’s health. This campaign calls for SAFE AND LEGAL ABORTION IN IRELAND, IRRESPECTIVE OF MEDICAL NEED. We demand that Ireland’s Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, its Minister of Health, James Reilly, and its Justice Minister, Alan Shatter take action.
We, the undersigned, refuse to acknowledge the Republic of Ireland as recognising the rights of women until they are given the right to choose!
Some of the supporters of this campaign:
- Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (Intl.)
- Verso Books, UK/U.S.A
- Dr. Drucilla Cornell. Rutgers University, NY. USA.
- Peter Fitzmaurice, Irish Centre for Human Rights, NUI Galway
- Dr. Gerard Horta, University of Barcelona. Spain
- Dr. Alfonso Herranz, University of Barcelona. Spain.
- Fionna Smyth. Campaigns Manager, Oxfam International
- Professor Ajmal Hussain, Aston University, UK
- Dr. Ann Nilssen, University of Bergen, Norway
- Albert Kraler, ICMPD, Vienna. Austria
- Alina Cibea, ICMPD, Vienna. Austria.
- Amie Williams, Director, Global Girl Media. USA
- Dr. Niall Whelehan, NUI, Galway. Ireland
- Dr. Helena Wray. Middlesex University, UK.
- Dr. Eleonore Kofman, Middlesex University, UK.
- Dr. Sara Lipton, Dept. of History. SUNY Stony Brook. USA
- Ivana Jinkings, Publisher, Biotempo, Brazil
- Rebecca Solnit, author and activist, San Francisco. USA
- Dr. Piya Chatterjee, Scripps College, Claremont. USA
- Dr. Patricia Morton, History of Art Dept. UC Riverside. USA
- Dr. Alessandra Moctezuma, Mesa College. USA
- Dr. Devra Weber, UC Riverside. USA
- Licia Boccaletti, Anziani e Non Solo società cooperativa, Italy.
- Dr Anita Heiss, Author, Australia
- Montserrat Bayà, AELC, Catalonia, Spain.
- Elisabet Goula Sarda, CCCB, Catalonia, Spain.
- Amalia Molinero, Autonomous University of Barcelona. Spain
- Della Rowley, SA Health Manager, Adelaide Area, Australia
- Dr Estevao Cabral, University of Birmingham
- Prof. Kenneth Good, RMIT Melbourne, Australia
- Minister for Health
- Minister for Justice and Equality
- Taoiseach of Ireland
The recent death of Savita Halappanavar in Galway underscores the urgent need for reform of reproductive rights in Ireland.
We, the undersigned, refuse to acknowledge the Republic of Ireland as recognising the rights of women until they are given the right to choose.
This is not a matter of morality or religious belief but one of basic human dignity, equality and public safety. We call on the Republic of Ireland to legalise abortion and let women have control over their own bodies.
Roisin Davis started this petition with a single signature, and now has 525 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.