- MontanaStyrofoam Peanuts vs Cornstrach peanuts
Styrofoam peanuts: Change over to corn starch peanuts
Our mission is to get people to use all natural biodegradable cornstarch packing peanuts instead of petroleum based non-biodegradable polystyrene (Styrofoam) packing peanuts.
Our goal is to have our cause go viral on social media so we can initiate change on this issue. Our intention is that people will voluntarily use cornstarch peanuts and contact the buyers and sellers of packing peanuts encouraging them to buy and sell only biodegradable packing peanuts. Thus non- biodegradable packing peanuts would become obsolete.
Advantages of Using Cornstarch Peanuts
- They are completely biodegradable and environmentally safe
- Easily disposed of: Upon contact with water, it degrades to inert proteins which are quickly consumed by soil bacteria.
- Petrochemical free
- Competitively priced
Disadvantages of Using Polystyrene (Styrofoam) Peanuts
- They are non-biodegradable
- Made from non-renewable petroleum products
- Styrofoam is buoyant and it is considered one of the main components of marine debris (litter) found along coastlines and waterways around the world.
- The potentially toxic exposure risks of eating / drinking from Styrofoam containers is undetermined. Principal chemicals used during the production of Styrofoam include styrene, benzene and ethylene. Long- term exposure to styrene leads to severe damage of the nervous system. It is a possible carcinogen. Benzene is carcinogenic and long term exposure causes leukemia and bone marrow damage. Ethylene, which is highly toxic, exists in emissions from factories involved in the production of Styrofoam.
-The largest buyers of packing peanuts in the United States are UPS, Fed Ex, Office Depot, Staples and Amazon.
-The largest manufacturers of packing peanuts are Uline and Star Tech.
-Uline Shipping Supply Specialists sells 7 cubic feet of cornstarch peanuts for $20.00 a bag while 7 cubic feet of Styrofoam peanuts costs $19.00. (http://www.uline.com/BL_2004/UPSable-Peanuts)
- Styrofoam Peanuts vs Cornstrach peanuts
We are E7- a group that is trying to get companies to use biodegradable cornstarch packing peanuts instead of petroleum based non- biodegradable styrofoam packing peanuts.
The main reason businesses have not switched already is because of potential memory (compression) issues associated with cornstarch packing peanuts. In this case, we suggest that you use environmentally friendly cornstarch packing peanuts (or a combination of styrofoam & cornstarch peanuts) for lighter packages (less than 5 pounds). Or consider totally switching over to cornstarch packing peanuts for all your packages because it is the right (green) thing to do.
Thank you in advance for your support on this issue.
Montana Chacko started this petition with a single signature, and now has 141 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.