Strengthen Educational Opportunities for Kids Experiencing Homelessness
This petition had 145 supporters
Homelessness among children and youth is skyrocketing in every part of the country. Much needs to be done on many levels. Congress will consider important legislation to guarantee access to a stable education for our nation's homeless children and youth: the "Educational Success for Children and Youth Without Homes Act of 2011," H. R. 1253 and S 571.
Features of this bill include:
- Promote school stability for homeless children and youth by improving the "best interest" school selection process and by making transportation to the school of origin an eligible use of Title I Part A setaside funds
- Increase school districts' ability to identify and serve homeless children and youth by providing professional development, training, resources, and time to school district homeless liaisons so they can carry out the duties required by the Act
- Increase homeless children's access to early childhood education programs by addressing barriers to stability and requiring public preschool programs to identify and prioritize homeless children for enrollment
- Improve the academic progress and high school graduation rate of unaccompanied homeless youth by addressing guardianship barriers, credit accrual problems and access to credit recovery opportunities
- Improve homeless children and youth's access to summer school, before and after school programs, and other educational opportunities
- Assist homeless students to participate in the full range of academic support opportunities offered by schools by clarifying that the amount of the Title I, Part A homeless setaside must be based upon a needs assessment that includes objective criteria and is developed in coordination with the school district homeless liaison
Urge your federal representative and senator to co-sponsor this legislation. For more information, click here.
Today: HEAR US is counting on you
HEAR US needs your help with “Strengthen Educational Opportunities for Kids Experiencing Homelessness”. Join HEAR US and 144 supporters today.