StreetRacks for Astoria
We're Jennifer Lim and Ben Sandler, husband-and-wife team, proud Queens residents, and owners of The Queens Kickshaw!
The Queens Kickshaw is a cafe and restaurant located on Broadway, between Steinway and 41st St. We opened in March of last year, and have received fantastic support from our neighbors. We've been building our business solidly, and continue to look for ways to give back to the community.
A good percentage of our customers ride their bikes to come to our business. At the moment, there are only parking meters around us, and there is space for just two bikes. On any given day, we have dozens of cyclists patronize our business.
The NYC Department of Transportation recently gave us the option of installing StreetRacks/Bike Corrals. For more information on the program, please visit the DOT's page - http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bicyclists/bicycleparking.shtml
We feel that installing the StreetRacks in front of our business would have the following effect:
- Provide safe and secure bike parking for customers
- Enhance pedestrian and cyclist traffic to local area businesses
- Draw even more positive attention to the great neighborhood that is Astoria!
- Serve as a visual reminder of Astoria's commitment to clean air and safe streets
- Serve as a visual reminder that customers arriving by bikes are just as valuable to local businesses as motorists
The DOT presented our request for StreetRacks to the Transportation Committee of Community Board 1, which declined to give a stamp of approval, and indicated they would defer to members of the full community board for a final decision. Subsequently, the full Community Board 1 denied the DOT's request.
As a result, we have started an online petition to garner support for the StreetRacks among members of the community, our valued customers, and local area businesses. We will be re-presenting to Community Board 1 as soon as we are able to drum up enough signatures.
Please help us bring this innovative, exciting project to Astoria.
1. To Queens Community Board 1, Some Businesses More Worthy Than Others
2. Astoria Restaurant Starts Online Petition to Get Bike Corral
3. Bicycle corral not OK with Community Board 1, but restaurant pushing plan
Today: Jennifer is counting on you
Jennifer Lim needs your help with “StreetRacks for Astoria”. Join Jennifer and 519 supporters today.