We ask President Barack Obama and The United States Congress to pass the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011, S.B. 1176/H.R. 2966, which amends the Horse Protection Act (HPA) to prohibit the sale or transport of horses or equine body parts in interstate or foreign commerce with the intent to process for human consumption. This Act will put an end to horse slaughter for human consumption in the United States, and put an end to the transportation of horses to slaughterhouses across our borders (typically to Mexico and Canada).
(1) Horses helped build the United States of America. Wild horses are living treasures and symbols of freedom. Most domestic horses are pets. Some have even become icons—such as Secretariat—who uplift the spirit and foster the American dream.
(2) In the U.S.A., horses are not raised for human consumption. Consequently horses are medicated with toxic substances that often do not pass FDA standards, making them unsafe to eat.
(3) We are against wasting tax dollars to fund horse meat inspections at slaughterhouses.
(4) Horse slaughter is animal cruelty—not humane euthanasia. When horses are slaughtered, they are often semi-conscious while the butchering begins.
(5) Humane euthanasia is a kinder way to end a horse’s life.
This Act will protect America’s horses and protect Americans against unhealthy and dangerous horse meat.
Members of Congress: We ask you to pass the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011, S.B. 1176/H.R. 2966, when it comes up for a vote.
President Barack Obama: We ask you to push for passage of the Act and to sign it when it reaches your desk.
Protect Mustangs started this petition with a single signature, and now has 6,055 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.