- Hon. Kizza BesigyeLeader of the Opposition, Uganda
- Rt. Hon. Amama MbabaziPrime Minister, Uganda
Stop Uganda's anti-gay bill
A horrific Anti-Homosexuality Bill that would impose criminal penalties for "promoting homosexuality" could be passed by Uganda’s Parliament within weeks.
Notoriously referred to as the ‘Kill the Gays’ bill, the legislation could impose life sentences - even the death penalty - for people who engage in consensual same-sex relationships.
International pressure from world leaders and advocates stopped the bill in its tracks when it was last tabled in April 2011. If we speak out together now, we could get it shelved again before it goes to vote.
Sign this petition to tell Uganda’s Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition to block this outrageous bill.
- Leader of the Opposition, Uganda
Hon. Kizza Besigye
- Prime Minister, Uganda
Rt. Hon. Amama Mbabazi
I am extremely concerned about the re-tabling of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill. If the bill becomes law, it would:
* Violate the principle of non-discrimination
* Lead to violations of the human rights to freedom of expression, freedom of thought, conscience and religion, freedom of peaceful assembly, freedom of association, liberty and security of the person, privacy, the highest attainable standard of health, and life
* Violate rights that are guaranteed under Uganda’s Constitution and in international and regional treaties to which Uganda is a party.
We call on you to not pass the bill in its current or amended form.
Amnesty International AU started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,087 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.