- North Carolina US Forest Service Forest SupervisorUS Forest Service
- SaveLGWSave Linville Gorge Wilderness
Stop the Burning of Linville Gorge Wilderness
The US Forest Service Nantahala-Pisgah 15-Year Forest Management Plan Update is underway. NOW IS THE TIME to let the US Forest Service know that you oppose incorporating any programs or plans that include man-initiated burning to manage the Linville Gorge Wilderness. This petition is a vehicle to notify the USFS that you want to keep the wilderness wild and that you oppose man-initiated burning of the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area, which violates the 1964 Wilderness Act and stands to forever change this rare sanctuary of nature.
In addition to destroying the wilderness quality of the Linville Gorge there are many reasons that we should act to stop "prescribed" burning of forests:
- New published research by fire ecology scientists are finding that the nature of prescribed burns with their low-intensity fires are much less common than purported, don’t support biological diversity or natural processes, and do not prevent more severe fires. For more information go to: www.SaveLGW.org.
- Production of toxic releases of formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, acrolein, respirable particulates, benzene and large carbon releases into the atmosphere
- Damage to ecosystems and waterways
- Risks for out of control fires, killing of animals and loss of habitat
- Threats to human health and safety
- Loss of recreational use
- Destruction of the scenic value
- Damage to local economies
- Wasting of taxpayer dollars
Act now to save the Linville Gorge Wilderness by signing this petition.
- US Forest Service
North Carolina US Forest Service Forest Supervisor
- Save Linville Gorge Wilderness
Stop violating the 1964 Wilderness Act by destroying the wilderness quality of the Linville Gorge with the allowance of man-initiated burning in the Updated Pisgah-Nantahala Forest Management Plan.
Save Linville Gorge Wilderness started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,522 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.