Stop it!! Bullied children are dying from suicide because leaders chose money over safety
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
With solid connections between
- Bullying and 50% of teen suicides, the second leading cause of death for teenagers
- Bullying and teen suicide attempts (almost 7% of teens have attempted suicide)
- Bullying and permanently damaged mental health
- Bullying and increased drug use
- Bullying and (1 in 10 children) dropping out of school to escape being traumatized
- Bullying and future higher incarceration rates for both the bully and the victim
- Bullying and purposeful inaction by adults to address it which denies children a path to obtaining equal protection
the United States has a very serious Public Safety and Civil Rights problem. Along with life changing harm suffered by individuals, society is paying dearly to address the damage caused by bullying. Therefore, we are requesting President Trump, Senators and Congressmen to take the modest action to protect bullied children by providing them with a Universal Federal Hotline with a 3 digit number to call for help when being abused.
It is true, bullied children are dying from suicide because leaders chose "Liability Concerns" over safety. Millions of children every day are being harassed, hazed, stalked, assaulted and even raped at the hands of their peers, while adult leaders choose to look the other way to save money. For those of you who already know there is serious problem with how adults receive and address serious bullying complaints, please take the time now to Sign and Share this petition.
There are three mains reasons bullying is such a serious societal problem that is not being addressed because of "Liability Concerns".
1. Organizational leaders refuse to provide a hotline for bullied children and witnesses to call for help. A policy that offers children a place to report abuse also places liability on the organization to address such abuse. Choosing to remain ignorant is a safer legal position.
Fear, embarrassment and well-founded doubts that the responsible authority involved will help them are very real obstacles that prevent children from seeking protection from their abuse. Many adults fear the contention and do not want the work that often comes with addressing bullying, and therefore will also become aggressive towards a young victim asking for help. Many traumatized children are left with no where to ask for help. A Universal Federal Hotline with a 3 digit number for children to call is the solution, which will take the reporting process out of the hands of those who are supposed to address the abuse and often won't.
2. Organizational leaders refuse to train adults working with children on how to recognize and address bullying. A policy that trains adults working with children on how to recognize and address bullying also places liability on the organization when such training is not followed. Again, choosing to remain ignorant is a safer legal position.
A Universal Federal Hotline number which publishes reports and statistics on where the bullying is occurring is the solution. Everyone will know if an organization has a bullying problem. Public pressure will encourage these leaders to reduce bullying in their organization. Their solution will be to train adults working with youth on how to recognize and address bullying.
3. Organizational leaders refuse to give children a fair and prompt investigation into their bullying. A policy that offers a fair and prompt investigation might also expose negligence by the organization. Again, choosing to remain ignorant is a safer legal position.
A Universal Federal Hotline number is the solution. If an organization refuses to investigate and then address a bullying incident in a fair and prompt manner, the victim or their family can call the hotline back and inform them of the inaction. This will put public pressure on organizational leaders to protect children from life changing and life threatening abuse instead of showing the young victim and their family aggression to avoid "Liability Concerns".
The statistics published by the Universal Federal Hotline offers parents an informed right of refusal before leaving their children in the supervision of an organization.
**For those supporting this cause, please read our letter below for a better explanation on the Hotline Number. Please Sign and Share this petition, followed by writing your elected officials to encourage them to support a Universal Federal Hotline for bullied children to call for help. To learn more about us, please visit The Stop It Foundation.
Today: The Stop It Foundation is counting on you
The Stop It Foundation needs your help with “Stop It!! Bullied children are dying from suicide because leaders chose "Liability Concerns" over safety”. Join The Stop It Foundation and 120 supporters today.