- Peter KentMinister of the Environment of Canada
- Elizabeth MayLeader - Green Party of Canada
- Thomas MulcairLeader of the Official Opposition (NDP) of Canada
- Stephen HarperLeader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
Stephen Harper - Prime Minister of Canada: Recognize a Healthy Environment as a basic Human Right in Canada
Nearly 100 countries formally recognize a healthy environment as a basic human right. Humans depend on clean air to breathe and clean water to drink to have good quality of life. Severe pollution has been scientifically linked to respiratory and heart disease as well as cancer. However, Canada is one of a handful of countries who's government has yet to recognize this fundamental right for its citizens.
We call on the Prime Minister and the federal government of Canada to stand up for our right to a healthy environment. While the federal government has stated that they plan to harmonize tougher vehicle emissions standards with the U.S., more can and needs to be done to preserve our environment. We ask for tougher standards for industrial emissions and tougher regulations for energy sector practices to avoid accidents. Also, we ask government to respect Canada's pristine wilderness areas and the rights of First Nations and leave these areas untouched for future generations.
Most of all, Canada's federal government must acknowledge that a healthy environment is a fundamental human right.
It's time for all Canadians to call on the federal government to make the right of a healthy environment a binding law in Canada!
- Member of Parliament Calgary Southwest
- Minister of the Environment of Canada
- Leader - Green Party of Canada
- Leader of the Official Opposition (NDP) of Canada
- Leader, New Democratic Party of Canada / Chef, Nouveau Parti démocratique du Canada
- Leader, Green Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Vert du Canada
- Leader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
Recognize a Healthy Environment as a basic Human Right in Canada
We the undersigned ask for the Federal Government of Canada to recognize a healthy environment as a basic human right. Nearly 100 countries worldwide have already done so, but Canada is one of a handful of countries that has refused to recognize this right, to this point.
Canadians want to be able to breathe clean air and drink clean water and enjoy pristine wilderness areas that haven't been ravaged by heavy industry. We also want to reduce our risk of respiratory and heart disease as well as cancer. That is why we call on our nation's leaders to recognize one of the most basic human rights of all - a healthy environment!
James MacGregor started this petition with a single signature, and now has 477 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.